Character rendering in a different colour light to the scene

Hi all

I haven't seen this before and I have no idea how to fix it.

I'm using a pre-built scene "PW caribbean island" with the mid day sunny render settings. So far it's produced good lighting on the charactersI've added. Today I tried a new character (Elizabeth V8) and when the scene renders her skin refelects light as if she has a red light being shone on her. Everything else in the scene rebders the way it normally does, but she look slike she's in a red spotlight.

I loaded a completley vanilla character and still the same, it's really odd. Below is a quick render to show what I mean.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sxpHq39GK3ecjIWnVk5Ch84iq_aNHaOo/view?usp=sharing

Any ideas how I can make the character interact with the environment light in the right way?

Thanks,

Rich.

Comments

• Looks like something is corrupted. I've loaded the Island as a new scene and added the character, the rendering is fine. So I guess I'll have to build the scene again.

• ps2000ps2000 Posts: 278
    edited June 2022

In my opinion the default skin of some vanilla characters is a little bit too red tinted, for example Victoria.

Combine that with a lighting that reinforces that effect and you get a skin that looks too red and unnatural.

I don't own the Elizabeth character but I guess that might be the issue in your case too.

Have you tried reducing the translucency of the skin?

Because the red tint may be caused by the translucency color.

Or maybe you have accidentally set the translucency color to high in the skin options and as a result the skin looks now too red.

In my case that helped. 

Post edited by ps2000 on
  • FeralFeyFeralFey Posts: 3,924

Hi Rich,

So I took a look at your render and given that reloading the scene and character has fixed the issue, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. First, ps2000 is correct in that some of the Daz O characters lean towards the red shift in their textures. That's not what was going on in your render. Although for future reference, if you do have a character that looks redder than other figures in your scene, I'd recommend picking up https://www.daz3d.com/idg-iray-essentials-for-genesis-8 or https://www.daz3d.com/idg-iray-essentials-for-genesis-8-vol-2 by the incredibly talented Destiny's Garden. Depending on your character that you're using, DG's sets do a marvelous job of de-redding characters and getting all the figures on the same level playing field in terms of renders.

However, it looks to me like your issue is the dreaded "DS got tired" syndrome. This usually occurs if you're using a large environment - of which PW's Carribean Island falls into - or you're using high poly hair or clothing, or you're running render after render after render without rebooting the program between renders. Anything that will tax your computer's CPU over a period of time will make DS "lazy", or "sloggy" and mistakes like colors on lighting. But, not to worry. It's easily fixed. Do just what you've done. Shut down the program, reboot, and reload your scene file. That usually clears it right up. 

I cannot tell you how many times I've been working on my projects when out of the blue, DS starts acting wonky on me - usually after I've been rendering multiple promo images overnight. I can't exactly tell you the technical reason for this because it's above my pay grade (and above my ability to grasp the nuances of the answer), but it has something to do with the way the program is written and how it handles its cache. DS isn't very good about dumping its cache, which is why you need to remember to shut it down after you've been playing with it for a long period of time, or you're working with high poly models in that time frame.

I'm not meaning to make it sound like it's a terrible program, nor am I trying to dissuade anyone from using it. I love DS. I really enjoy working with it as I'm able to express my artistic visions best in it. But it does have this quirk - it's a liveable quirk - but a quirk that people need to be aware of so that, like you, aren't scratching their heads wondering what's wrong.