How To Fix Texture In Furniture

gfdamron1gfdamron1 Posts: 199

I am wondering if there's a way to deal with the texture in this sofa.  It's the one included in this set:

https://www.daz3d.com/big-foyer

This is what it looks like in my render:

sofa1.jpg
1200 x 923 - 402K

Comments

• ps2000ps2000 Posts: 278

Have you tried applying another fabric shader?

Maybe that will fix your problem.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,060
    edited June 2022

that doesn't look good for an iray product surprise

I don't own it but it looks defective 

almost like ngons, twisted faces, flipped normals or something 

without seeing the mesh I cannot say but DAZ studio certainly doesn't like it

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • gfdamron1gfdamron1 Posts: 199
    ps2000, I'll try to apply another shader.
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,724

I asked a friend if he had it and he did and checked for me. the mesh and UVmapping is fine. He applied another shader to it and it was fine. really odd it looks that way by default.

maybe the PA accidently used the wrong texture because it really looks bad

Given that I don't really know what I'm doing (I view each obstacle as a way to learn) I tried changing the shader. This changed the color, but the underlying distortion was unchanged. I changed the material, first using leather. The leather material I have is an extremely coarse texture, and it was so rough I couldn't tell if the distortion was just hidden. I changed it to a nice fabric in a similar color, and it looks fine, though I would really prefer the leather look as the PA designed it. I still can't tell if this corrects the underlying problem.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

Those artifacts look like the patterns Substance Painter does (I'm told) with the unused area of the textures and maps, maybe one of the maps is not following the UV's

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

It looks like UV mapping ant texture maps do not match, Could be a wrong tiling setting too. Another thing that surprises me is the sharp shape of the main cushions of the sofa, I wouldn't want to sit there, they look like rocks.

edited June 2022

rosseliani said:

It looks like UV mapping ant texture maps do not match, Could be a wrong tiling setting too. Another thing that surprises me is the sharp shape of the main cushions of the sofa, I wouldn't want to sit there, they look like rocks.

that seems worthy of a ticket

the PA can fix it by including a texture that fits or at least is a full tileable square 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited June 2022

Thanks for the comments! I wanted to make sure it wasn't something I'm doing that's causeing this or that it could be solved with a simple setting. I'll send in a ticket, and post what the problem turned out to be.

Post edited by gfdamron1 on
  • ps2000ps2000 Posts: 278
    edited June 2022

Good luck.

It will probably take months till the problems is solved by ticket.

Normally I would advice to contact the creator directly for faster results.

But since the product seems to be owned by daz3d directly he probably won't be able to help you. 

I would nevertheless try to contact the creator directly. I mean his name is still on the defective product so he should have an incentive to help you. 

Tesla3dCorp has an instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/tesla3dcorp/?hl=de

Post edited by ps2000 on
  • Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,071

Select the sofa and then click Edit -> Geometry -> Convert to SubD.  Then set Mesh Resolution to High if not already, and increase Render SubD Level to 2.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,724

Seven193 said:

Select the sofa and then click Edit -> Geometry -> Convert to SubD.  Then set Mesh Resolution to High if not already, and increase Render SubD Level to 2.

That would be complete overkill for a simple couch in a scene. If the render was a focus peice on just the couch, then I could see doing that

FSMCDesigns said:

That would be complete overkill for a simple couch in a scene. If the render was a focus peice on just the couch, then I could see doing that

You're missing the point of my post.  Converting the sofa to SubD changes the underlying geometry, so if there's a problem with it, something might change. So, just try it, and see what happens.

Seven193 said:

FSMCDesigns said:

You're missing the point of my post.  Converting the sofa to SubD changes the underlying geometry, so if there's a problem with it, something might change. So, just try it, and see what happens.

Makes no difference as the UV mapping stays the same and the geometry is not the problem.

One idea did come to mind though... Has the creator used a custom shader for the sofa? Maybe that shader is botched.
    One could try converting the material to regular Iray, keeping the texture and maps as they are.

if you look at the promos closely, the weird artifacts are there too

• stefan.humsstefan.hums Posts: 132

Very simple cause for the weird artifacts on the sofa (but one must find it lol): The Normal map is the culprit! It uses tiling added by the image editor, and of course this must go wrong. frown

In Surfaces pane, for the sofa pillow and Sofa1_Mat open the Normal map in the image editor and set horizontal/vertical tiling to 1.00 - and the weird artifacts are history.

good find yes

I don't own it so was only seeing results that looked bad!

PerttiA said:

Makes no difference as the UV mapping stays the same and the geometry is not the problem.

For well-behaving geometry, yes, but if there's flipped faces, or badly triangulated faces, it might not act so well-behaved.

Seven193 said:

PerttiA said:

For well-behaving geometry, yes, but if there's flipped faces, or badly triangulated faces, it might not act so well-behaved.

Those artifacts were clearly coming from textures/maps, the pattern is easily recognisable to someone that has been digging into the depths of /Runtime/Textures/ 

• stefan.humsstefan.hums Posts: 132

I found the issue on mere suspicion by turning Normal strength to 0 - and the base color map only (there are no other textures than base color and normal) didn't show these artifacts, so it must have to do with the normal map. Then I compared the base color map with the normal map, they were congruent, so the map itself could not be the issue. Checked it with using the normal map as base color - no artifacts and with that proved that neither the textures nor the geometry or UV map are the problem.

Well, and then I unpacked the .DUF file for the sofa, searched for the normal map there and found out that there are parameters included for horizontal and vertical tiling for the normal map only. Same issue I found in the subset for the complete scene. And with opening the normal map in the internal image editor, it was clearly to see that there is set a horizontal/vertical tiling of 3.00 for the normal map. Setting this to 1.00 and the artifacts are gone.