flame settings problem

2»

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Now, next question. If I turn it into a light source itself, will the entire place cast the light or just the flame portion?

Look in the "DAZ Studio Discussion" area for a discussion on a similar technique. adamr001 I believe laid out the method he used to do the same type of effect you're attempting.

EDIT: Here is a link to the image he created: http://adamtls.deviantart.com/art/Flame-in-the-Night-213073955
    Actually, Aidana, you were involved in the discussion where adamr001 described the technique...

Kendall

I thought that was in my dragon comparison thread. Besides that, I can't find a \Light Presets\omnifreaker\UberAreaLight\!uberAreaLight Base.dsa in ds3 ... lol.

Look in "Lights\UberAreaLight\!UberAreaLight Base.dsa" see if it is there.

Kendall

I had to actually do a search for it add drag it in. Remember all those files I had misplaced a while back?

Anyway, I tried it and it turns the entire plane into a light... not just the flame part.

You'll need to follow adam's instructions for restricting the lit areas. There are a few maps you're going to need to make.

Kendall

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

See too slow again.

If you don't hold Ctrl down applying the Area Base will remove all the textures. Once you get that then we need to set the fall off so the light stops at a given point and fades away. You can put the flame texture in the Light Colour Channel of the Area light which will give better results.

edited December 1969

Kendal this thread by adam you mentioned is it in this new forum or the old one? Great pic adam did there. I use Area lights all the time now and you have perked my interest more.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Kendal this thread by adam you mentioned is it in this new forum or the old one? Great pic adam did there. I use Area lights all the time now and you have perked my interest more.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4884/

There ya go. Adam covers more detail on the second page. It really isn't hard, I've done it many times in the past, but Adam already has it written out.

Kendall

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,787
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    As far as I am aware mesh based lighting (Area) will only emit light in the direction of the normal making it only emit light on one side of a plane.

What version of DS3 do you have as the last updated version 3.1.2.32 had Area Lighting and Hunan Skin Shader as part of the free version. I have Advanced and when viewed in DS3 in the Content Tab as "View Folders as a List" see image below.

If you do have it then when applying the Base hold Ctrl down and chose to Ignore the "Map Settings" this will keep your textures etc in place.

OK ... did that and t totally messed with the previous flame settings ... lol. Maybe point lights are my best bet?

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    As far as I am aware mesh based lighting (Area) will only emit light in the direction of the normal making it only emit light on one side of a plane.

What version of DS3 do you have as the last updated version 3.1.2.32 had Area Lighting and Hunan Skin Shader as part of the free version. I have Advanced and when viewed in DS3 in the Content Tab as "View Folders as a List" see image below.

If you do have it then when applying the Base hold Ctrl down and chose to Ignore the "Map Settings" this will keep your textures etc in place.

OK ... did that and t totally messed with the previous flame settings ... lol. Maybe point lights are my best bet?

The settings you used previously are not compatible with making the flames into a light emitter. You may want to save out a copy of that scene before you start working with making the changes. Initially, your flames are not going to look even close to what you expect. Also, remember that since they will now be a light source, the viewport display will not show what the final look will be. You'll be doing a lot of spot renders to get the look you want.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Szark said:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4884/

There ya go. Adam covers more detail on the second page. It really isn't hard, I've done it many times in the past, but Adam already has it written out.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Thanks Kendal. Learnt something new cheers.

Off to test something I will be back later.

edited December 1969

What do u guys think?

draft_2.jpg
    466 x 700 - 381K
    edited December 1969

What do u guys think?

Looks pretty good. I might suggest that you tilt your flame plane a bit toward the camera instead of having it flat toward the ceiling. That will provide a bit more "depth" to the flame. Also, you may want to decrease the environment lighting a bit to emphasize the flame. Like a flashlight in the daytime, one can tell it is on, but there's so much other light that the flashlight's effect is minimized.

Kendall

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

What do u guys think?

Like what Kendall says there is too much light and I'm not sure you turned the flame prop into an area light because you don't see the lightning of the flame on the dragon and the environnement but that is not easy to set up

What I told you before for the settings apply here too. You just dont't have specular parameter with the area light

Diffuse -> 0-50% depending on your lighting and your liking
    Ambiant -> white 100% with the flame texture
    Opacity white 100% with the transmap
    Color white 100% with the flame texture or you could use a color like red or yellow. Be carefull putting the texture increased the render time
    Samples -> at least 128 at shading rate 1 from my test. The more samples the better quality and the longer rendertime

Accept shadow->off (not sure it's usefull but it's in case of)

You then have to tweak the light intensity and the falloff to get something correct

I rendered some examples below. I have some artifact due to my shading rate which was at 4 but the idea is there.

Another trick would be to use well placed point lights.

Render_2x800.jpg
    800 x 450 - 294K
    Render_10hjx800.jpg
    800 x 450 - 327K
    Render_8x800.jpg
    800 x 450 - 315K
    Render_1x800.jpg
    800 x 450 - 291K
  • flashbackflashback Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Using point lights may be your best bet, in this image : http://flashback37.deviantart.com/#/d59uixk there are multiple blue energy bolts.
    Each has a linear point light behind it. (These are some of Jepe's effects) and yes I did go overboard with the post-work. :roll:

edited December 1969

flashback said:
    Using point lights may be your best bet, in this image : http://flashback37.deviantart.com/#/d59uixk there are multiple blue energy bolts.
    Each has a linear point light behind it. (These are some of Jepe's effects) and yes I did go overboard with the post-work. :roll:

I can make a point light linear? But they load circular ...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,680
    edited December 1969

A Linear point light is one where the light gets dimmer in proportion to the distance from the source, or fades out with distance between start and end distances. A regular point light has inverse square falloff, like a real light - if the distance from the source doubles, the brightness drops to a quarter. Linear lights are less realistic, but more controllable, than standard point lights.

edited December 1969

Well I was going to provide some examples and you all beat me to it. :P Nice one folks. :)

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

I'd also suggest that if you have the flame all lit up, you might want to tone down the rest of your lighting in the scene. It'll make it more dramatic, and the tinting from the flame would be more visible.

edited December 1969

A Linear point light is one where the light gets dimmer in proportion to the distance from the source, or fades out with distance between start and end distances. A regular point light has inverse square falloff, like a real light - if the distance from the source doubles, the brightness drops to a quarter. Linear lights are less realistic, but more controllable, than standard point lights.

But my question was, how do I create a linear point light when the point light loads circular?

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

But my question was, how do I create a linear point light when the point light loads circular?

The light is not linear, it's still a sphere. The falloff control is linear. However you have no linear point light in DS3 for what I know. It appeared with DS4. You just have pointlight with intensity and color control. No fallof

edited December 1969

The light is not linear, it's still a sphere. The falloff control is linear. However you have no linear point light in DS3 for what I know. It appeared with DS4. You just have pointlight with intensity and color control. No fallof

Ahhh ... hence my confusion .. lol. Thanks :D

• flashbackflashback Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

For your purposes a linear point isn't absolutley necessary, a standard point light will do fine.
    I've only recently started using the linear point myself and think I've got 'em figured out.
    Btw, don't to forget to fiddle with the light color as well as intensity. For example: if you want your flame more orange, your light should have some orange.