Tried out dForce and the Clothing went crazy

I put a dress that is supposed to be compatible with dForce on a figure and posed the figure as sitting.  The dress didn’t take account of the bent legs but I read that using dForce would help the clothing to fit to the figure.

Unfortunately, while the dress started to look OK, half way through the simulation the dress turned into a cocoon around the figure.

Where am I going wrong?

Before and after pictures attached

Figure: Victoria 8.1 with Alternative Shapes for Victoria 8.1 applied

Dress: dForce Evaline Outfit for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females

Before dForce.jpg
1921 x 1422 - 593K
After dForce.jpg
1930 x 1419 - 862K

Comments

• ps2000ps2000 Posts: 278
    edited June 2022

How did you start the simulation?

I would only select the dress and figure and then select 'simulate selected' under the simulation tab.

Post edited by ps2000 on
  • TogireTogire Posts: 408

This is a dforce explosion. It happens in some situations, for instance when the initial mesh to simulate intersects with other objects. Indeed the simulator consider the fabric as polygons connected by strings and uses the spring elesticity to find a proper solution, but if there is initially any intersection with an object, the simulator cannot find a way and this gives the kind of result that you have.

I suspect that for instance the fingers or the legs are intersecting with the dress, but maybe it is caused by another problem.

There are probably thousands of threads in this forum on dforce explosion. For instance you can look at this very complete thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/208141/how-to-use-dforce-creating-a-blanket-draping-clothes-on-furniture-and-much-more-commercial/ or look at this tuto

To simulate a complex situation (and yes sitting is considered as complex for dforce), you must generally start for the zero pose and have the figure gradually sitting so that the cloth can follow the char movement. This (may) avoid explosion problems.

• ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 513
    edited June 2022

In the Simulation Settings tab, under "simulation" is "Start Bones From Memorized Pose" on or off?

Related (and how you could tell if you don't go look at the setting) when you did the simulation, did the figure revert back to the default A-pose then start moving to the pose, or did they stay posed and the dress start sumulating? If the Start from Memorized Pose is off, turn it on and see if that fixes it as it will do as alainmerigot notes. If it is on and the firgure does move, but the dress still explodes, then you may want to try using the animation timeline to move the figure into the pose rather than the dforce setting. That can sometimes help avoid the issue, either by taking smaller steps than the default "start from memorized" does, or by allowing you to tweak individual frames where poke-through happens while the figure moves. 

To do that, on in frame 1 of the animation timeline make sure that the figure is in the default pose and dressed. Then jump to a higher frame (generally 15 is good, but you can go farther if you want). In that frame, pose the figure. You will notice that the frames in-between now are auto-filled with the figure in various stages of moving. You can examine them to see if there are frames with poke-through and use something like the d-former to move the dress, or you can adjust the leg pose slightly. I prefer to move the outfit a bit.

Then, click on a frame about 15 frames past your final frame - this will allow the simulation to "settle" after it hits the final pose. In the DForce settings pane, turn the Start Bones From Memorized Pose off and then change the "Frames to Simulate" to "Animated (Use the Timeline Play Range").

Hope this helps.

Post edited by Chezjuan on