Transferring installed models and created scenes to a different computer.

TheOwlTheOwl Posts: 29
Is there a proper way to backup the files I have installed in my dazstudio software including the different scenes I created with it using official daz models and poser models i downloaded from other sites - just in case i decided to transfer all of them to a different computer? My worry is if I have opened for example, a scene that I was working on a previous computer, the new computer should be able to use the same pathways to locate the folders and not cause a file not found error.

Comments

• The content directories will have all the actual content, and daz Studio stores only relative locations within the content directories so they should work on a new machien even in a new location or with new names.

The database lives in the folder specified in Edit>Preferences (Daz Studio>Preferences for a Mac) - it should be backed up only when Daz Studio, Carrara, and the Daz installers are all closed. Alternativels, categories and so on (but  ot groups, such as the New marker) can be backed up to the content directory (the forst Daz Studio content directory) via the Content Library option menu - the lined/hamburger button in tbe top corner, or right-click the tab) > Content DB Maintenance, check export userdata, and metadata from installed products (except those isntalled through Daz Studio) and from same dialogue Import Metadata can then be used to recover the data from the exported files - but you do have to remember to do this, it isn't automated.

Install Manager and daz Central keep a separate list of what they have isntalled, as they do need the absolute location rather than just the relative location within the content directory. This is done via the .dsx files in the Manifests folder - you can transfer that to a new system, but if the names or locations of the content directories do not match they will not be able to uninstall existing files 9which may sometimes be an issue for updates) unless you manually edit the paths in the .dsx files.