Community thoughts...

JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,902
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm sitting here trying to think of some way to say what I want to say without upsetting anyone. (Not exactly one of my strengths..lol) But what I want to say, I promise I say with love and concern for everyone.

We've been through alot together, haven't we? We've seen people come and go and products come and go. We've endured the Ap wars and the policy changes and and forum changes and store changes and for some of us, the changes have seemed overwhelming at times...

We all need to rant sometimes. I suppose as "artists" we may even rant more than the average human...lol, but for me, the ranting is just getting to be TOO MUCH.. too often.. about too many things.

It feels like some people have decided that the forum is their personal complaint department. It's not. Daz3D does indeed have a complaint department, however, and it should be utilised more often, imho...

I heard someone say something the other day like, "This used to be a fun place". I think this person was kinda blaming Daz3D because of all the changes (I could be wrong) but it got me thinking...
What made this place great... and I mean Really GREAT...

was the people.

It's always been the people.

It got me thinking about the word, "community", and what it means. I looked it up on the net and found a few definitions that seemed to apply, but this one was my favorite:

"A feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals".

That is what we've had here at Daz3D in the past, some of us, for many years. Yes, it's true that many things have changed, but if our sense of community falters... that's OUR own fault.

I guess that's the gist of it. If we want a pleasant friendly place to hang out and share our ideas, artwork, struggles and achievements, don't we have some responsiblity to make it so?

...just saying.

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,885
    edited December 1969

Very well said.

• flashbackflashback Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ditto.

• SassyWenchSassyWench Posts: 602
    edited December 1969

Brava! You put it into much better words than I ever could. (Cleaner too LOL)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited December 1969

higs and kusses for everyone ♥☺♥☺♥☺

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

Well said Jasmine. One of the reasons why I don't stay engaged in allot of threads or even hesitate to start my own very often any more is that someone will inevitably come in and start a fight or complain unnecessarily or just be a total jerk. Community is about sharing and critiquing and enjoying one another and each others efforts, freebies and all the rest of the sharing that goes on here. At times there are rants. I go off too sometimes, we are only human but when some folks make that their mantle, for me, it's grounds for being put on the ignore list (do we have one here currently?). Thanks for your words, they are appreciated!

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited August 2012

deleted

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
    edited December 1969

That's 'cause you're hanging out in the Commons, Jasmine.

The Carrara folks have always been upstanding, non bitchy citizens. :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited December 1969

prob because we are so used to tweaking bought stuff for DS & Poser to work in Carrara in the past as well as now, so new items, freebies etc are not an issue if they need work.
    We just have deep (often heated) discussions on filmmaking and artistic opinions rather than Daz products.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,633
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Well said Jasmine. One of the reasons why I don't stay engaged in allot of threads or even hesitate to start my own very often any more is that someone will inevitably come in and start a fight or complain unnecessarily or just be a total jerk. Community is about sharing and critiquing and enjoying one another and each others efforts, freebies and all the rest of the sharing that goes on here. At times there are rants. I go off too sometimes, we are only human but when some folks make that their mantle, for me, it's grounds for being put on the ignore list (do we have one here currently?). Thanks for your words, they are appreciated!

The forums have been kind of a shark tank lately. Friendly and useful threads are rapidly drowned out by the complaints, and that's sad.

I keep hoping that as DAZ fixes store and forum issues, and the people who are going to flounce get it out of their systems, some of the complaining will die down.

edited December 1969

*flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce*

:P

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,974
    edited December 1969

I flashed on the speech in "V for Vendetta" ... very well said!

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce*

I feel like that much flouncing should require you to wear the YDress that's on sale right now, and maybe a curly-haired wig. :D

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

I feel like that much flouncing should require you to wear the YDress that's on sale right now, and maybe a curly-haired wig. :D

My mind insists there should be at least one *bounce* in all that *flouncing* ;)

edited December 1969

I'm a wolf TIGERRR at heart! :P I used to wear dresses but that was another life time ago!

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited August 2012

Very well said or written... Though noticed this kind of hateful attitude is not just on Daz forums . it seems to be the pulse of the world in all forums to be more negative than positive. Sharecg and Rendo have their problem as well with this issue.
    Youtube is the worst for trolls and haters. I can understand criticism , But people should do it in a constructive manner not destructive.

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    I'm a wolf TIGERRR at heart! :P I used to wear dresses but that was another life time ago!

Now I'm picturing some kind of wolf/tiger hybrid flouncing in a circle instead. Thanks, that makes my morning even better. :D

I, on the other hand, do wear the occasional dress, although none of my current ones have enough flounces for this. I'll give it my best shot, though!

*flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce* *flounce*

*trip*

*thud*

*Jumps up, brushes off*

I meant to do that.

edited December 1969

See, now that's why I don't wear dresses any more... my claws on my paws end up shredding the hems too much too when putting them on. I look ridiculous in a torn silk sheath when bouncing and flouncing. Just not pretty!

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    See, now that's why I don't wear dresses any more... my claws on my paws end up shredding the hems too much too when putting them on. I look ridiculous in a torn silk sheath when bouncing and flouncing. Just not pretty!

~ROFLMAO~ Oh Richard, you have made my day. I actually was able to mentally picture you doing that as I read it. :coolsmile:

@Jas, g/f you put it very succinctly and I can't find fault with anything you said. I have often walked away and not said anything when I see really hurtful comments, especially one that was posted directly at me. I could've responded in kind, and actually thought about it for about 5 seconds, but then just got up and walked around for a few minutes, and then went back to reading the forums. I hate to see flame wars, whether it's about what software to use, or in this instance, what's wrong with the DAZ store and forums. Constructive criticism and critique are what these forums should be about. Post a WIP of something you're working on and let us give you our honest "helpful" comments, because anything else would just hinder rather than help the person actually asking for our comments.

OK, that's my 2¢, FWIW :-)

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,902
    edited August 2012

LOL!! You guys are great!!
    @BCRICE: LOL... I really did smile when I read this.... I miss you guys. I'll pop in and say hi somewhere...I just am addicted to the Commons...heehee... I may actually need an intervention....lol

@ the Flouncers and bouncers: LMAO!! LOL!LOL!LOL! Oh my... you guys sure know how to cheer a girl up! Thanks for the giggles! :)

@ everybody offering kind words and comradery: Thank you. It's good to know, I'm not alone.

*HUGS for EVERYONE!*
    :) :) :) :) :) :)

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614
    edited December 1969

@ Jasmine

While I personally have no issue with people complaining...

There is quite a bit less complaining over in the Members Only forum (you're a PC Member I think)
    Even LESS complaining over in the Carrara forums.

Hugs to Jasmine
    :-)

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,075
    edited December 1969

Well I for one would like to see more complaining! If there's one thing that I would complain about it would be the almost total lack of complaining in this thread! Why, the first post in this thread actually makes a cogent and compelling case for civility! Disgusting! And furthermore, flounce, flounce, flounce, flounce!
    Yours sincerely,
    Brigadier General Basil Q. Sillysurname (Mrs.)

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,902
    edited December 1969

Hahaha!! You guys are so funny...

@ Tsarist: LOL.. Thanks for the hugs :)

@ tjohn: !!!!! LOL @ more flouncing!

:) :) :) :)

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

The wunnerful thing about TIGERRRs are that TIGERRRs are wunnerful thing...

They *flounce* and *flounce* and *flounce* and *flounce* and *flounce* and *flounce* and *flounce* and *flounce* and *flounce* and *flounce* and *flounce* and *flounce* and *flounce* and *flounce* and

screeeech - pop - hiss

and RAMs the only one woohoohoohooo!

Kendall

PS
    A few around here should recognize both the song and the soundfx