Volumetric Inferno Flames

I bought the Volumetric Inferno pack but for some reason, when I use the flames + materials provided, they all come out really dim and smokey and not like the promo images. Am I doing something wrong? Would appreciate any help, thank you. The second image is when I tried upping the luminosity but I still didn't gain the same result as the promo image. I am sort of new to daz so I may be missing something. 

Screenshot (80).png
1920 x 1080 - 1M
Screenshot (81).png
1920 x 1080 - 1M

Comments

• What is your setting for Enviorment Mode in render Settings - it needs to include Scene in order to see emissive surfaces.

• DiscipleDisciple Posts: 89
    edited June 6

I have two Kindred Arts products, KA Rocket Launch VDB, and VDB Inferno.

The rocket effects appear as expected, as long as I don't change their skyscraper scale.

The flame objects from Inferno appear as charcoal-gray blobs.  Applying the color and emission and density presets, all do exactly the same thing... nothing.  Tweaking the Uber shader settings or assigning the VDB shader produces the same result.

Is this because I haven't upgraded from v.4.20?  I loathe upgrading.  It means trading new bugs for old, except I get to keep the old ones.

I really wanted the VDB flames I paid for.  What are my options?  Thanks for reading.

Hallelujah!
    Disciple

[edit=1](I'm not a smoker, and that's not why I've been sticking with 4.20... just so you know.)[/edit]

KindredArtsCompare01.jpg
    864 x 648 - 84K
    Post edited by Disciple on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474

Emission from VDBs reuires 4.22.0.16 or later, as far as I can see from the change log.

Richard Haseltine said:

Emission from VDBs reuires 4.22.0.16 or later, as far as I can see from the change log.

Okay...

1. Thank you for the useful information.
    2. I was really hoping the solution would be a different one. sad I've not forgotten my painful negative experience the last time I innocently trusted DAZ to perform a Studio update.

All right.  I shall risk a repeat of that debacle, but this time I have so much content backed up that the kitchen sink metaphor is appropriate on several levels.  My results will be reported here.

Hallelujah!
    Disciple

You could try using the beta.

Richard Haseltine said:

You could try using the beta.

That's a good point.  Maybe my "please fix this" requests went nowhere because I'm not an official beta tester.

But right now I'm feeling encouraged.  Credit is due.  I let DIM install 4.22, it seems to function, and I haven't detected any collateral damage so far.
    DAZ3D, that's more like it. yes

Right, my VDB flames burn brightly now, but something is quite, quite wrong.  There's a character from a webcomic with heat powers, and I wanted to illuminate her with a flame.  The light of the emissive VDB is behaving strangely.  Pic attached.  A small VDB flame, reduced to 10% scale and lowered emission, is giving the G8F character uneven light.  Strange darkened areas appear, mostly on the head/neck, that resemble shadows but aren't.  Some light is still present and actual shadows are still cast, but bizarre hard edges are seen that slide about with changes in pose.  A normal light source doesn't produce these side effects.  I tried deleting everything but the base figure and the VDB, but the dark patches persisted, shown in the close up.

Here's the weirdest part.  If the VDB and the light source are both active, the boundaries vanish and the entire figure, clothes and all, receives only the darkened portion of the VDB's light.  This is true even if the second light is behind the figure, or concealed inside a cube, but if the light's intensity goes too low, or it's moved out of range, the non-darkened portions of the VDB's light gradually fade back in and the edges reappear.  None of this seems to me like the desired effects of an illumination model.

This out-of-the-box glitch is a bit disappointing.  Anyone else seen it?  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Hallelujah!
    Disciple

VDBFlamelightFail01.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 198K

That is weird, though since the light is within the volume rather than on the surface as it is with the primitive it could be unexpect interactions with the geometry. Still, I would suggest submitting a support ticket with the scene attached and a note of the content required (ideally strip the scene down as much as possible).

edited June 8

New information.

Apparently a dForce hair has attached a cone of shame to the figure's head to block dynamic strands.  Pic attached.  Its material was at 0% opacity, so the camera rays and normal light rays couldn't see it, but the volumetric light rays could.  Hiding the cone defeated the bad illumination patches on the face, but the same problem is affecting other surfaces with opacity at less than 100%, like her eyes, eyelashes, and hair cap.  The other weird effect, where adding another light darkens everything, persists as well.

To the ZenDesk I go.  Not sure if this is a job for DAZ, for NVidia, or both.  I hope somebody notices this not official beta tester.  Thanks for the advice.

[edit=1]Request #458306 is open, example image included, with a link to this thread.  It's anybody's guess now.[/edit]

Hallelujah!
    Disciple

VDBFlamelightFail02.jpg
    960 x 360 - 171K
    VDBFlamelightFail03.jpg
    720 x 540 - 137K
    Post edited by Disciple on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,531
    edited June 8

@Disciple, I do a manual install on my DAZ program & keep all old ones. No need to lose a single previous issue of DS. This is my Program Files listing:

The way I do it is to rename the last directory (eg when I install Studio 4.22, I'll rename 4.21 as DAZStudio4.21Old to avoid 4.21 being deleted by an un-installer when DS is shut down. Then install 4.22 in a new directory called DAZStudio4.22, then go and re-name DAZStudio4.21Old as DAZStudio4.21 . Then All my existing versions of DS will also work.

No need to lose a single previous issue of DS. DAZ Studio Full Release has been designed to work nicely next to the Beta, which means it also works nicely alongside previous versions of itself. The only thing that seems to be version specific when you go back are the dForce kernels. These are then re-compiled for the version that's currently being used.

Regards,

Richard

Directory.png
    197 x 241 - 4K
    Post edited by richardandtracy on

Thank you.  Good to know.  I wish I'd consulted with you two years ago.

Hallelujah!
    Disciple

Don't forget that registry entries and the appdata folder will be shared by each version, so rthere may well be issues (later versions will be coded to cope with/update settings from older, but the reverse cannot be the case)

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,531
    Richard, thus far (which is no indicator for the future, I know) that concern has not come to pass.

Another update -

The ticket made it through the backlog.  The help team does see the bug and believes it's DAZ's to solve, so it's now reported to the dev team.  Whatever they do about it is expected to be documented in the change log.  End of update.

Hallelujah!
    Disciple