How to Adjust Rigging to Shape for Hair

I've hit a brick wall trying to get certain hair with tails and plaits to work with the adjust rigging feature. After they go through a very long process, they finalize a rig that's totally different from the one supplied by the original hair. In other words, the bones are exploded and don't match the shape at all. All I have done is enlarge the size of the entire hair, but the bones will not adjust to the shape properly.

I didn't tick the ajdust orientation button, and I tick the affected bones or even try the entire rig, but it still results in the bones not fitting correctly. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Is this a custom hair model of your own? if so, had you memorised the rigging (Joint Editor option menu) - the memorised state si the starting point for adjustment, DS tries to keep the bones in the same position relative to the morphed shape as they were by default rekative to the default shape.

• No, it's not mine. All I did was take the existing hair and fit it to the head of the custom character I made, and when I try to make a fitting morph for it the rigging gets messed up. It worked for Marigold Hair by outoftouch, but this other hair (Messy Braided Tails also by outoftouch) just doesn't like to adjust the rig to the new shape. Maybe there's a bone that doesn't factor into the process? This particular hair has bones around the head for side hairs that form what looks like an umbrella, and those bones just snap to the center of the head after adjusting to shape. The tail bones flip in the opposite direction too.

Maybe I should just tweak them manually? It's a slow process though, and doesn't answer the question why the adjust rigging to shape isn't working.

• I don't have that hair to test. If you activate the Joint editor tool, with the hair selected, right-click in the Viewport, and select restore>Restore Figure Rigging what happens to the bones for the hair?

• The tail bones just snap to a mid position along the tail and all point up. The ones for the head all snapped to the head bone and point up too. It seems as if Daz doesn't like this hair. However, similar things happen to most of the hair I've tried over the years when I've tried it. I'm not sure how I got the Marigold Hair to work for it's long plaits, but it seemed to be the exception for getting the bones to work.

Would unselecting the Influencing Face Groups work, or are they insignificant to the process?

• The bones move if you restore the rigging? That would really be a bug, I think , and I would be inclined to report it.

From the same right-click menu, with the bones in their loaded positions, use the Memorise>Memorise Figure Rigging command and then try Adjust Rigging to Shape for your morph - does that give happier results?

• souji_monarusouji_monaru Posts: 51

It's been a real long time since I wrote this, but the hair in question was fixed due to memorizing the rigging for the hair.

However, I have a short hair by outoftouch (Janet Hair for G3F and G8F) that doesn't work, even with the memorizing of the rigging.

Seems that outoftouch hair is really hit and miss with trying to fit them to custom morphs...

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,300
    edited June 19

If you mean OOT's hair product don't work well on your custom characters, e.g. there're distortions on short hairs, on the ponytails, etc.,  you better fix FHM (full head morph in hairs' hidden properties) or use Rigidity Group to Clear Generated Morph on the distorted parts, then fine

I frequently experience the distortion on OOT's ponytails, so I usually use Rigidity Group to clear the morph first, then tweak the tail's transforms a bit, export to OBJ, then import it to update FHM on the ponytails and save the morph assets. Sometimes I have to use Blender to make perfect fix. I never have to Adjust Rigging to Shape...

Post edited by crosswind on
  • 3DmentiaNull3DmentiaNull Posts: 127

Hi Crosswind, you and others have mentioned rigidity groups as something to modify to fix ponytails etc. on shorter chars, would you make one of your wonderful screencap tuts, using D/S, demonstrating this process? That would be very appreciated and probably help lots of users. Thanks for all your input! smiley/ peace

edited June 20

3DmentiaNull said:

Hi Crosswind, you and others have mentioned rigidity groups as something to modify to fix ponytails etc. on shorter chars, would you make one of your wonderful screencap tuts, using D/S, demonstrating this process? That would be very appreciated and probably help lots of users. Thanks for all your input! smiley/ peace

Sure thing ~ Pls follow the attached screen shots to give it a try. If you don't have the character and hair product that I used in this example, try with other products as you wish. Any issue, pls feel free to let me know.

PS: Rigidity Groups don't correctly work on strand-based hairs as SBH has different mechanics in terms of morphing and rigging... users can only deform SBH with dFormer.

SNAG-2024-6-20-031.png
    2560 x 1392 - 2M
    SNAG-2024-6-20-033.png
    2560 x 1392 - 1M
    SNAG-2024-6-20-034.png
    2560 x 1392 - 1M
    SNAG-2024-6-20-037.png
    2560 x 1392 - 1M
    SNAG-2024-6-20-040.png
    2560 x 1392 - 1M
    SNAG-2024-6-20-042.png
    2560 x 1392 - 2M
    Post edited by crosswind on

Wow, thank you so very much - I'll be trying this out soon!yesyesyesyesyeshappy solsticesmiley/ peace

3DmentiaNull said:

Wow, thank you so very much - I'll be trying this out soon!yesyesyesyesyeshappy solsticesmiley/ peace

You're welcome ! Take your time ~

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285

I had no idea about this either. Generally I just parent problematic hairs to the figure's head but this solves the scaling issues as well as the distortion. Learn something new every day. Thanks for that great visual guide! :)

TimberWolf said:

I had no idea about this either. Generally I just parent problematic hairs to the figure's head but this solves the scaling issues as well as the distortion. Learn something new every day. Thanks for that great visual guide! :)

No problem ! I also use the way of parenting from time to time. But on some heavily-shaped stylized characters, this way doesn't work well, even with more tweaking. But with RG, just a couple of clicking can easily fix the issue.

Hi crosswind, Just wanted to say thanks again for this tut! I tested it on OOT Rochelle Ponytail Hair for G3F. Having such a long tail, it seemed like an especially good test - the tail goes from the head down to the pelvis of G3. I dialed in an arbitrary smaller head morph, followed the instructions and got a perfect result, and the long tail could even be shortened to neck length without kinks! However, it was an example of a hair that I might decide to fit manually, cause the tail itself is not conforming (something I hadn't noticed). But when really needing to use "fit to" it seems like this method would work even for shoulder length hair, if you could find a good face group or surface to use - I'll certainly be trying this approach . Thanks again for all your help! smiley/ peace

3DmentiaNull said:

Hi crosswind, Just wanted to say thanks again for this tut! I tested it on OOT Rochelle Ponytail Hair for G3F. Having such a long tail, it seemed like an especially good test - the tail goes from the head down to the pelvis of G3. I dialed in an arbitrary smaller head morph, followed the instructions and got a perfect result, and the long tail could even be shortened to neck length without kinks! However, it was an example of a hair that I might decide to fit manually, cause the tail itself is not conforming (something I hadn't noticed). But when really needing to use "fit to" it seems like this method would work even for shoulder length hair, if you could find a good face group or surface to use - I'll certainly be trying this approach . Thanks again for all your help! smiley/ peace

No problem ! Take your time ~ yescool