Trying to match skin colors

sayunsayun Posts: 14

I wanted to use the Aillee figure for one of my renders, but even the base material has a lip color added to it and I wanted a version that did not have any makeup effect, even the lipstick.

I brought in an Aiko 8 character, removed the Aiko morphs and just applied the Aillee morphs, and got the same face/body shape.  However, the skin color isn't the same, as the picture shows.  Is there a way to easily match the skin color of the Aillee figure onto the Aiko figure?  (I'm also open to other options if there's a better way to do this)

I've tried messing with the translucency, and even a skin color builder, but I can never seem to get it right.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Sample.png
1414 x 548 - 484K

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,331
    edited August 2022

You could try applying the Aiko 8 lip colour to the Ailee character - just select the Ailee figure, go to the surfaces tab and expand the little down-arrrows to see all the surfaces, then select just the "lips". Then go to the Aiko 8 Iray materials and Ctrl-click (on Windows - I think its Cmd-click on a Mac?) on the Aiko base material preset. This allows to to restrict which surfaces to apply the preset to in a pop-up window - just click on "selected surfaces only" and it should change only the lips.

It might not turn out perfectly, but is worth a try.

ETA: You can try this to use the lip material for any Genesis 8 Female character that you own, including the base G8F figure, if their lips look better on Ailee than Aiko's do. 

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • sayunsayun Posts: 14

Thanks for your response!

I tried your advice with a few different character's textures, and it still comes out looking like she's got lipstick on, when what I'm going for is no lipstick (like the Aiko base).  laugh

Do you happen to know of a good way to change the hue of a character's material?  I'm thinking it's okay if it's not an exact match, but I'm just going for that slightly pale, is probably an android sort of look.

Thanks again!

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 2.38.49 PM GMT-7.png
    1143 x 637 - 728K
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,493

Altern8 provides a lot of options for adjusting skin appearance. You can probably get the effect you're looking for with it.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,331
    edited August 2022

That looks wrong - there's definitely lipstick there. Two possibilities come to mind:

• Does Ailee load with a geoshell? If so, try applying the Aiiko 8 lips to that as well. (or delete the geoshell)
    • If there is no geoshell, then try looking in the lip surface for an image map or colour setting in (I can't remember exactly the right parameter but it's something like) diffuse overlay - if so, get rid of it and set the diffuse overlay strength (or similar) to zero.
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • ElliandraElliandra Posts: 519

Have you tried using a diffuse overlay color?

Here's how I match skin tones to lips etc:

Do a quick Iray Preview and take a screencap or save it out
    Take that image into a 2D Paint program and take a sample color from the skin near the lips

Set the Diffuse Overlay Strength to 1
    Plug that color into the Diffuse Overlay Color in the Surfaces Tab in Studio
    Adjust the strength of the overlay to your desired effect
    You can also raise/lower the color on the color picker slider to lighten/darken it as needed

Another option is to go into the textures folder for the character and see if any of the lips are actually the base skin color and if so plug that map into the lips surface tab base color section