Looking For A High End DAZ Server

If things go as planned I want to get a GPU that will reduce the image time.  I am looking at the GeForce RTX 3090.  and I am looking at the ABS Legend

ABS Legend Gaming PC - Intel i9 11900KF - GeForce RTX 3090 - G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - 2TB Intel M.2 NVMe SSD - Newegg.com

Gaming PC - Intel i9 11900KF - GeForce RTX 3090 - G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - 2TB Intel M.2 NVMe SSD

Question 1) is there a better unit for the money?

Question 2) is there a better GPU? 

Comments

• 32 GB of system RAM is probbaly not enough for a 3090 - in general you need twice, and quite possibly thrice, as much system memory as the GPU has video memory. A larger capacity mechanical drive for content would not be a bad idea, depending on how much you have installed at any time, but at a pinch you can use an external drive for that.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

32GB's is about the minimum amount of RAM for DS and the latest assets on any computer, and if one wants to utilize the 3090, 64GB's or more would be needed.

There is very little point in having an OS drive larger than 1TB, it is the most vulnerable drive for problems and one doesn't want to store anything of any importance on that drive.

A 4TB external USB-drive is a good start for the DAZ content.

• @phil, Do you want to use a Server?!

Most machines of the type you are looking for are really expensive and the processor type is not like the mainstream Intel and AMD can offer to the consumers.

If you have some computers, the scenario is to connect it to a server.

But if you want a powerful machine depending on your budget, you have to think twice.

Most machines sold today and previous processors can handle Daz Studio.

Personally, I am not worried about the time it may take to process a render, over 30 min.

Is too ambitious the idea of having a good video card unless you are prepared to spend more to get some performance.

My machine has 32 Gb of memory, it can be expanded to 128 Gb maximum, it has an Nvidia RTX 3060 12 Gb and a decent Hard Drive storage.

If you want better performance then opt for the latest 12 Generation of Intel processors, but if you are desperate for something else then wait for the 13th Generation of Intel processors.

I don't have a Solid State Drive (SSD) installed, I am happy with what I have now.

My advice to you, cool down for a moment and think if you want a computer system that can be useful for graphic design, most computers can do a very nice job, no need to spend big as the technology keep pace.

I always give advice to my relatives on computer related needs, also I have to provide support as I am the only one with some knowledge.

At the moment one of them has the 12th Gen Intel Processor, 32 GB Corsair DDR5 (This memory type is more faster than DDR4, just more expensive) I have tested it with Daz Studio, this runs well.

Also look for a good reputation computer store, these people can build a computer according to your needs.

All the best for you!

• phil_4488081phil_4488081 Posts: 1
    edited August 2022

Thank you, I did not consider the 32 GB, I make sure that I can get at least 64GB on the motherboard....  I have a 10tb NAS so should be good for Out-Of-Band Storage.

I should have said workstation over server.   I am old school, so anything over 128k is a server.  LOL

I have a 10tb NAS, so should be good for out-of-band storage, thou I might have to delete a ton of cat pictures...

ya, I need to see if I can get just a 1tb OS drive, anything else is overkill, newegg does not have much finesse when makeing systems.

What is everyones opinion of AMD vs INTEL with DAZ?  is one better over the other?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited August 2022

Halcon Bluesky said:

If you want better performance then opt for the latest 12 Generation of Intel processors, but if you are desperate for something else then wait for the 13th Generation of Intel processors.

If going with Intel, the newest generation for HEDT (HighEndDeskTop) is still generation 10, using the X299 chipset. There were rumours about the new HEDT generation being released this autumn, but there are no signs yet.

The current generation 11 and 12 are meant for 'consumer' systems, designed for lighter work with poorer expandability.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • @PerttiA,  You said: "The current generation 11 and 12 are meant for 'consumer' systems, designed for lighter work with poorer expandability."

I don't think so.

If this were the case, people and business would not buy such systems.

These systems cannot be considered as "underpowered"

Many companies that assemble and sell computers,regard Intel processors as the best option.

Beyond the "consumer" the workstations and servers are for sharing their resources with other computers, the Windows version is server and the licence is far more expensive than the Pro version.

Currently the 12 Gen Intel processors have the Z690 Chipset, use the latest DDR5 Memory.

Expansions will depend upon the user needs.

The motherboard can support up to 128 GB of memory.

Mechanical Hard Drives have increased in capacity.

Video cards battle is between Nvidia and AMD Radeon (formerly ATI, the brand that AMD bought several years ago)

Its about a choice, many may go for Intel while others may opt for AMD.

I do not intention in engage into a debate about this, its jus my humble opinion.

edited September 2022

Halcon Bluesky said:

@PerttiA,  You said: "The current generation 11 and 12 are meant for 'consumer' systems, designed for lighter work with poorer expandability."

I don't think so.

One only needs to compare the chipset specifications to see the differences, the HEDT specs are for beefier systems

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_X299
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_2066
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Lake_(microprocessor)#Cascade_Lake-X_(Enthusiast)
    https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/series/123588/intel-core-x-series-processors.html
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/122941/intel-x299-chipset/specifications.html?wapkw=X299

Post edited by PerttiA on