model render seems to be in a loop

Second question of the day (sorry).  I'm trying to set up a scene so I can do an animation and export to composite into live action footage, but the iray preview seems to be in a constant loop of "preparing scene".  I had initially set the advanced render settings to use both the CPU and GPU, but that made the model disappear entirely after about 1 second of trying.  When I disabled the CPU and just used the GPU, I get what looks like the smooth shaded version of the model, and the progress bar at the bottom that fills and restarts over and over.  I have my Texture Compression set to 6000 and 10,000 (med/high) as I've seen recommended in other posts.Aside from that, I'm at a bit of a loss.  I have 32Gb of RAM and an Nvidia Quadro P3200.

Sorry for being so new at this- I'm really just trying to set up a simple animation, but I keep hitting roadblocks.  :/

Capture2.JPG
370 x 1109 - 47K

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

Take the compression settings back to the default 512 and 1024, a 6GB card is very limited on what it can do and the card being non-RTX, limits it even further.
    Out of your 6GB VRAM, Windows takes 1GB, the software emulation of RTX functions takes 1GB, DS takes a few hundred MB's, the base load of the scene takes a few hundred MB's and rendering in Iray requires space for "Working Space" which should be about 1GB or more, leaving you with maybe 2GB for the geometry and textures - One G8 figure with clothing and hair may need 700-1500MB's of VRAM alone, without any optimisation.

In general Iray preview requires very powerful computer to be used as full time preview.

• PerttiA said:

Take the compression settings back to the default 512 and 1024, a 6GB card is very limited on what it can do and the card being non-RTX, limits it even further.
    Out of your 6GB VRAM, Windows takes 1GB, the software emulation of RTX functions takes 1GB, DS takes a few hundred MB's, the base load of the scene takes a few hundred MB's and rendering in Iray requires space for "Working Space" which should be about 1GB or more, leaving you with maybe 2GB for the geometry and textures - One G8 figure with clothing and hair may need 700-1500MB's of VRAM alone, without any optimisation.

In general Iray preview requires very powerful computer to be used as full time preview.

That worked!  Thanks so much!!!