Subway Tunnel Environment-Train is scaled to 72.6%?

EnoughButterEnoughButter Posts: 103

I purchased https://www.daz3d.com/subway-tunnel-environment Subway Tunnel Environment, added a G8 figure, and their head poked thru the ceiling?

Checked the scaling, the train is preset to 72.6% for some reason? But the Subway Tunnel itself is 100%, and the train fits the track and tunnel only at the scaled down size?

Edit: Looks like the proper scale for the train is 90.2% But that makes it too big for the tracks.

subway.png
1571 x 853 - 2M
Post edited by EnoughButter on

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited September 2022

When a content creator brings props into Daz to create a bundle, he should always create the objects at the proper scale (compared to Genesis), place their pivot properly, place them at the center of the scene, then reset position/scale/rotation.

Whether it's props or assets (word usually used for props conveniently positionned to create the actual environment) the workflow should be the one listed thereabove.

If an asset loads at anything else than 100% that's because the content creator didn't scale the object properly before bringing it into Daz. And he scaled it in Daz then saved it. Not good. Although not the end of the world.

I'm not really good at math. But if the 72.6% train looks fine at 90.2% ... then resize also the rest of the scene (take the train out of the environment group, then rescale the whole environment until tracks fit the train.

I can't check that bundle nobody has it around me. But... yep it sounds like objects haven't been reseted properly before they were imported to Daz.

Scaling the Genesis sounds like the easiest solution. Takes 2 seconds, fixes your issue. The render will be fine, only you will now that Genesis is scaled down to fit a badly sized environment.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • hansolocambo said:I'm not really good at math. But if the 72.6% train looks fine at 90.2% ... then resize also the rest of the scene (take the train out of the environment group, then rescale the whole environment until tracks fit the train.

The problem is I'm pretty sure the tunnel environment has doors that are at a standard 6'8" right now (scaled correctly at 100%), so rescaling the environment makes everything human dimensioned too big.

Scaling the Genesis sounds like the easiest solution. Takes 2 seconds, fixes your issue. The render will be fine, only you will now that Genesis is scaled down to fit a badly sized environment.

The G8 guy I added was just a test. This will be more problematic when the subway car is filled with people (mostly billboards, but still...) But, why is that my job to have to manually adjust to this?

What I don't understand is-this comes in a bundle that includes poses for G8. Did no one actually put the people in the car to test this? Or are the poses scaled down to 72.6% as well?

It's a $31 DAZ Original product, I checked the Readme http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/70945/start and it says no issues, so I'm assuming DAZ checked this before shipping, and not just a 3rd party PA?

It's also not a new product. Which is why I'm wondering if I messed up here somehow.

I can't figure out what I might have done wrong to load in something that has two linked environments that seem to be designed at different scales, unless I'm totally missing something here (totally a possibility, lol).

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited September 2022

car is filled with people (mostly billboards, but still...)

Forget billboards, that's terrible. Pose a Genesis. Export it as obj. Load that obj (be sure that surfaces are named as the originals) and re-apply your Character Iray Material to it. This way you have a 3D object that looks and renders 100% like a Genesis, but that uses way less memory. Look much better than 2D billboards.

It's a $31 DAZ Original product [...] and it says no issues

Above all it's a Dekogon Studios bundle. Problems are always annoying when a product is supposed to be validated, sadly to err is human. I also never understood how someone could spend days/weeks on a product and suddenly become blind to very obvious issues in the final straight light before publishing...

A base G8 model loaded in that train indeed looks like a giant. That's a scale issue with the bundle. 

You can and accept the sad fact that there's a bug in that bundle that somehow nobody noticed before publishing :/ And fixt that by yourself scaling this up or that down. Blender would help for that as the pivot system in Daz.. well, there's better around (MoveOrigin Daz script helps a lot).

Or you can submit a ticket to Daz, reporting the issue and then hope that someday Dekogon will resave all props and scene subsets properly...

unless I'm totally missing something here

Nope :/ You got it right. There's something wrong with the bundle.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

hansolocambo said:

When a content creator brings props into Daz to create a bundle, he should always create the objects at the proper scale (compared to Genesis),

No, the creator should make them in real world scale, which is the only proper scale (1 unit = 1 centimeter in DS).

Unfortunately many are still just eyeballing the dimensions and scale they are working with - Pity, as some of the items would have potential, but fixing them would require pretty much complete rebuild of the geometry.

• pixelquackpixelquack Posts: 285

And now, almost two years later I find this out the hard way... fun fact: when you scale the scene down so the track matches Stephenson gauge (1435mm track width at 87% scene size) cars from other sets usually  match right away, but you have to Y-scale some down or they will hit the ducts at the ceiling, and the doors are just plausible, but not good. But like that you can use standard Genesis. 

I agree this set should be redone.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,528

Just be aware that subway trains do not always meet standard loading gauges, door sizes or ceiling heights. The trains are designed to meet the tunnels they run through, which may not be large. On the oldest lines in the London Underground, the trains are quite tiny, with door heights of 6ft-6ft2in. The UK surface train loading gauge is smaller than Europe or the US, however, here's a surface train next to the smallest underground gauge:

Regards,

Richard

Train Gauge.jpg
    676 x 426 - 96K