Weird spaghetti fingers after tweaking a Gen8 figure with the shaping sliders

Weird spaghetti fingers after tweaking a Gen8 figure with the shaping sliders

Hi,

With delight I am cranking out (pseudo) 'new' figures using the many shaping sliders transforming figures that I bought on impulse but that I now find lacking. Today I encountered a phenomenon that occasionally I have seen before, after applying a bunch of shapes I wind up with hands with fingers that look normal but get turned into spaghetti fingers if you subsequently use the Powerpose dials or use the universal tool on fingers/hands. Using a zero utility you can get the hands to look normal again but anything you do will quickly turn the fingers into spaghetti again. 

Is this a fixable issue or have I wasted hours on creating this character that I happen to be pretty pleased with? If not, can I still salvage the ‘custom’ head shape?

Thx y'all 

Spaghetti-Fingers.png
1024 x 483 - 786K

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

Edit->Figure->Rigging->Adjust Rigging to Shape

• Most shaping sliders should already have had the rigging adjustment done, unless you are exporting the modified shape to OBJ and then importing it as a new morph (in which case you have found one of the reasons not to do that).

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598
    edited September 2022

I think the accepted solution for dialled figure if you want to have a single slide for a shape is to set up a slider that controls all of them.  There are good videos around to demonstrate this. Sorry just waking up and my brain needs coffee before doing this. 

PerttiA is correct that this will fix it for custom shapes. 

There is always a possibly Richard that someone is doing a mix of custom and dial spin where they might need to realign the bones to the bodyshape. If he dial spinning characters there's a possibility some are custom and don't have it built in. 

There are also ways to split custom morphs. I've not experimented enough with it to know if it would allow you to split a dial spinned morph. 

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • PerttiA said:

Edit->Figure->Rigging->Adjust Rigging to Shape

That did the trick! Might one of the (many) sliders used have caused this? A rogue slider? Can an applied pose 'unrig' fingers?

The edit --> object and the edit --> figure menus still have too many secrets for me. 

I always thought a particular Gen8 DAZ shop bought figure had this spaghetti finger problem from the get go but now I can't replicate the issue so I guess my presumption was wrong all along. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

At least some morphs that scale individual bones unevenly, sometimes need adjusting the rigging afterwards.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598

Yep...if you're mixing lots of morphs not all will necessarily be from the Daz original morphs.