Brand New User -- Wait for G9 or Jump Right In?

I'm an author, expecting to use DAZ to sketch out scenes for my own benefit and as a time-killer during writer's block.

This seems like either a wonderful, or terrible, time to be getting into DS with G9 about to drop. I know nothing about any of this short of character creation intros in video games.

- Should I just throw down for the 9.0 model pre-order and start learning with it as my basis going forward? Or would it benefit me to work with the 8 & 8.1 versions to learn the ropes, first?

- WIll the Gen 9 Victoria be backwards-compatible with the 8 & 8.1 expressions, clothes, etc., the way the 8.1 models seem to be with the G8 expressions and so forth? Or will I have to wait for everything to come out in G9?

If it helps: i7 12th Gen, 32GB DDR5, 3060ti w/8GB. Not the best GPU VRAM, or so I'm reading, but you can't have everything. It runs my games fine.

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,955
    edited October 2022

My opinion: Don't spend ANY money yet!

Download and install the free "Essentials" packages that come with characters and clothes. I recommend Genesis 8 Starter Essentials. Start to learn Daz Studio and play with that free content first. You may decide Daz Studio is not for you. If you do like it, then wait for Genesis 9, which should arrive in a few days, if the "middle of the month" ads are accurate. Download the free version of the basic Genesis 9 at that time. When people figure out what older stuff works and what doesn't, you will be in a better position to know what to buy.

Once you are sure you want to stick with Daz Studio, look at joining the Daz+ Club. You will get discounts on Daz Original products, like Victoria 9. Daz+ annual subscription is  on sale 40% off right now.

Consider subscribing to Daz Deals browser plugin. It help tremendously with tracking product price history, notifying you by email when an item in your wishlist is on sale, etc. It is indispensable for any Daz shopping addict.

There are always sales. Prices go up and down daily.

Post edited by barbult on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,904

G9 won't be compatible with G8 expressions, morphs etc. You will be able to fit clothing and hair, and there's a pose converter coming out. Obviously, as G9 isn't out yet, you'll be limited to whatever new products are released, whereas G8 has been out for several years and has a substantial catalogue of products. There's no harm in trying out G8 to familiarize yourself with the program, and jumping on G9 when it comes out. 

• Gordig said:

G9 won't be compatible with G8 expressions, morphs etc. You will be able to fit clothing and hair, and there's a pose converter coming out. Obviously, as G9 isn't out yet, you'll be limited to whatever new products are released, whereas G8 has been out for several years and has a substantial catalogue of products. There's no harm in trying out G8 to familiarize yourself with the program, and jumping on G9 when it comes out. 

Thanks.
  • MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,149

I agree with Barbult, don't spend money just yet and try the "Essential" packages first. They'll help you get a feel in how to use DAZ Studio, and locate the assets that figures come with.

G8 is also a good choice to start with because it's likely the G9 controls will be similar. There's also plenty of freebies for it too. People post links to these on the Freebies section of the forum where they advertise stuff.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,909
    G9 will have very limited compatibility with G8 and earlier. I will echo what others have said, don't spend any money just yet. At least not on anything character related (characters, morphs, skins, expressions, clothes, poses, hair...) I guess you can buy yourself some environments and lights, if you want. In any case, wait for G9 to drop, which should be any day now. You don't have to pre-order Victoria 9 to use G9. Just check out everything that's included for free and then take it from there.
  • tfistfis Posts: 129

IMHO:

I wouldn't care.
    If your G8 renders suck, G9s won't be any better

• lindanslindans Posts: 99

Gosh, jump right in! Get the free base characters, play around with lighting and props. G9 is going to be expensive and wont be a lot of content out there for a while. But basically enjoy playing with Daz.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

lindans said:

Gosh, jump right in! Get the free base characters, play around with lighting and props. G9 is going to be expensive and wont be a lot of content out there for a while. But basically enjoy playing with Daz.

G9 will be free just like all the Starter Essentials for previous generations