Is there an actual difference between male and female poses (and expressions)?

Is there an actual difference between male and female poses (and expressions)

One of those questions you would think have been asked a thousand times before, but no. Against my better judgement I sometimes buy a pose library (like a hand pose collection) for male while I have the 'exact same' library for female or v.v. That 'better judgment' is based on countless times when I switched off "Filter By Context" and applied a pose/expression on a male or female figure where the pose/expression was supposedly tailored for a specific 'gender' different from the one I was applying it on.

Obviously I have encountered the occasional popup warnings when using couple poses (e.g. man carrying a woman) and applying them on the 'wrong' gender (e.g. woman carrying a man) , but even then overruling the warnings resulted in the correct poses like I intended (e.g. woman carrying a man).

Q1: So excluding poses that target specific parts of the anatomy, is there an actual difference between male and female poses (and expressions)? Is buying the 'companion' library for the other gender a "nice to have" thing but not strictly necessary having already one of the libraries and extending its application domain by switching off "Filter By Context"?

Q2: Another question that seems logically connected to the main question: is it possible to have the Posing tab show results for a particular Generation (say G8) but combine the results for female and male?

Thx!

Comments

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,575

Not only male & female, but different females of the same generation (Victoria 8  vs The Girl 8) this is because different characters might hve difference in the size of their body parts that will make the required angles different. Sometimes it won't matter with solo poses, but you'll really notice it with multiple interacting poses.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

With any pose you will have to make adjustments for the character you are using ,that being said I frequently use male poses on females or female poses on males depending on what I want ......

• FedermannFedermann Posts: 111

Thank you both for your input, it is nice to know that the intragenerational boundary is pretty much non-existent safe for some possible tweaks that I myself have yet to encounter.

Any thoughts on my 2nd question? Would be fantastic to be able to use a filter like that:

Q2: Another question that seems logically connected to the main question: is it possible to have the Posing tab show results for a particular Generation (say G8) but combine the results for female and male?

• You can make pose presets and render out an icon [91 x 91] .png to display the preset. This would be visible in the content library in whichever subfolder you save them too.