How to archive scenes to make room for new stuff

Hello all,

I just completed my first DAZ3d project. I have a bunch of scenes associated with it. Now I want to get them out of the way for my next project, but I don't want to lose them. Is there a way to archive scenes or organize these for Project1, so I can access them again later if need be?

Comments

• Could save them to a zip folder [D/S doesn't read into zips] and delete [or move into storage] all the loose files.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

7zip

(or WD 5TB)

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • robrossrobross Posts: 49

Thanks, but how do I do that? I do know, in theory, how to create zip files, but not how this relates to DAZ. Is there some documentation I can look at that tells how to locate where scenes are stored and how to manually manipulate those files? Obviously,  I'm not familiar with the way Daz is organized in the background. The few times I've attempted to manually delete things did not end well.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

The scenes are located where you saved them, DS remembers the location where you saved the first one and uses that location for subsequent ones.

Although usually the scene files do not take much space as they only contain links to assets you used on making the scene and any changes you have made to them in the scene - When one wants to open such scene on another computer, one must first have all the content that was used to make the scene, installed on that computer.

• ronake said:

Thanks, but how do I do that? I do know, in theory, how to create zip files, but not how this relates to DAZ. Is there some documentation I can look at that tells how to locate where scenes are stored and how to manually manipulate those files? Obviously,  I'm not familiar with the way Daz is organized in the background. The few times I've attempted to manually delete things did not end well.

Putting stuff into a zip folder does not involve D/S. Close D/S, manually find the folder where you have saved the scene files [possibly My Library > Scenes] - select all the ones you want to zip up and right-click, send to zip folder. Then rename the zip folder as you please and move it where you want it to go. This method is okay for use with any group of scene/scene subsets/pose/ presets but not for content. Content is more complex as there one has also the mesh and morphs, etc. to find. 

• robrossrobross Posts: 49

Thanks With the information you've all providedI, I think I understand now. Have a little homework to do and, of course, backups. But, I have an approach for cleaning up my mess. Appreciate all the advice.