Drag to parent objects not working

I have just installed the latest version of Studio and have a problem with dragging objects in the view pane to another to parent them. For example a cone dragged to a cube to parent it to the cube and thus move both around. This is a simple example, i used to be able to drag primitives to characters to do the same thing, as an example I could parent a sword to a G3M and then move both as if it were one thing. I had this problem before and the parenting in place box was not ticked, ticking it resolved this but it doesnt seem to work now. Please advise...

Daz version is 4.21.0.5 Pro 64 bit using an M1 mac os ventura

Comments

• Do you mean View(port) or Scene pane? So what is happening - you say a problem but don't say what it is.

• Gosh but the descriptions of the user interface get confusing dont they?

Heres what I think I mean. When the scene tab is opened one can see everything that is in the current scene. If I had a cube and a cone in the scene, I could select one and drag it onto the other to parent them together. Then I could move both around as though it were one object. On a more complicated level, if I had say a G3m and a prop, say a sword, I could select the hand and then the sword and drag the sword to the hand to parent it, and then when I posed the hand or the G3M figure the sword would obviously move with the figure according to the pose. That was then, before the problem, which is that when I drag one object onto another, they simply fail to parent. I have tried and can parent by right clicking and select change parent and doing it that way. This is time consuming and very clunk compared to sdimply dragging and dropping one onto another. This problem occured before with the previous version of DS and was cured by ensuring the " parent in place" box was checked, this no longer solves the problem in this new version of DS...

• Drag-and-drop within the Scene pane is still paenting for me, and the child is still moving with the parent. Parent In Place controls whether the child jumps to the position of the parent, but it should affect whether the child actually becomes a child or whether it then follows the parent's movements.

• I have tried many times now to use the drag and drop method to parent things. I dont think I am doing anything wrong, its what I have always done in the past and it has always worked with one exception which was caused by inadvertently unchecking the parent in place box. I have no idea what is causing this but its very real for me and I am lost for an explanation or a cure...

I appreciate that it works for you Richard, the question is what is causing this for me... I had hoped someone might suggest an answer....

I am still hoping for that and a bit worried that its something I have done myself....

• Well no solution yet but I live in hope. I am getting good at selecting the object and then changing the parent to whatever I want. This is however really clunky compared to drag and drop but needs must....

• I just upgraded to macOS Ventura and repro this problem 100%. The scene pane does not react as a valid drop taget.

The workaround of using the "Change <Object> Parent…" dialog is extermely cumbersome in a scene with many actors with many attached figures. It takes so much scrolling.

DAZ Studio Version 4.21.0.5 Pro Edition (64-bit)

macOS Ventura 13.0 (22A380)

• lbsiahaan said:

I just upgraded to macOS Ventura and repro this problem 100%. The scene pane does not react as a valid drop taget.

The workaround of using the "Change <Object> Parent…" dialog is extermely cumbersome in a scene with many actors with many attached figures. It takes so much scrolling.

DAZ Studio Version 4.21.0.5 Pro Edition (64-bit)

macOS Ventura 13.0 (22A380)

Please make a bug report, via a techncial Support ticket, attaching that video to the report.

• Thanks to ibsiahaan for the response, I thought i was going nuts. I will make a bug report, but it might be appropriate to ask why Mac users are so often finding issues with Daz.

• Gosh, cant find out how to make a bug report, must be me being dim surely....

if not can ssome tell me how please

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,920

deeahr2169 said:

Gosh, cant find out how to make a bug report, must be me being dim surely....

if not can ssome tell me how please

Do so by going here https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new, log in and select the department you want to contact.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

You are not dim, it really is unnecessarily difficult.  Scroll to bottom of the page and right-click on "Contact Us" to open in another tab.  Scroll to the bottom of that page in the FAQ section expand "How do I contact customer service for an issue?".  Click the link to open another and at the top of the page this time click the "Submit a request" button.  From this point it should be self explanitory.

• deeahr2169 said:

Thanks to ibsiahaan for the response, I thought i was going nuts. I will make a bug report, but it might be appropriate to ask why Mac users are so often finding issues with Daz.

Glad to be of help.

If you open the About DAZStudio dialog, you will see there are only two names listed under Software Development and only three under Quality Assurance. It's a pretty small operation, so I cut them a fair amount of slack.

• deeahr2169 said:

Thanks to ibsiahaan for the response, I thought i was going nuts. I will make a bug report, but it might be appropriate to ask why Mac users are so often finding issues with Daz.

Yes this happens to me too, now. Also just upgraded to macOS 13. Can confirm this issue.

• I raised a ticket about this problemaround November 15th I think it was, but have not heard anything yet. I am assuming that I will get an email but maybe thats too easy. Has anyone else any updates on this problem which just makes things so difficult...

• andiandi Posts: 0

I just upgraded to MacOS 13.0.1 (Ventura) and have the same problem now.

• andiandi Posts: 0

Same here

• Upgraded to Mac OS 13.1.  This solved the issue.

• Confirm that macOS 13.1 fixes the issue, as well as draging pane tabs around, which was also broken.