Can't apply material to specific Wardrobe items

Hi,

I'm not entirely new to DAZ, but I'm far from an expert. So far I had fun trying out different things, but some time ago I purchased a set of clothes that I just can't get to work no matter what. I gave up then, but now I would really like to figure out what's the problem (I paid for them after all).

The items in question: dForce MRB Outfit for Genesis 8 Female (it's supposed to work for 8.1 too according to the details)

Coat, dress, boots. I see the Materials I should be able to apply but the item stays white, both in the viewport and in render. The model figure is 8.1, DAZ is updated to the latest version, and yes I tried turning it on and off. Every other piece of clothing, hair, etc. works as intended.

I'll attach a screenshot to this post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!

whyyyy.png
1920 x 1041 - 863K

Comments

• Do you get any kind of error message?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,955
    edited December 2022
    Thpse are hierarchical material presets. They probably only work when the clothes are on G8, not G8.1.
    Post edited by barbult on
    I looked at the product page. I don't see that it says it works on G8.1. You will probably have to put the coat on G8, apply the hierarchical material preset to the coat and either copy all the surface settings to the coat on G8.1, or save non-hierarchical material presets from the G8 coat and then apply those to the G8.1 coat.
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,905

barbult said:

Thpse are hierarchical material presets. They probably only work when the clothes are on G8, not G8.1.

In my experience, hierarchical materials for G8 will work on 8.1, but not the other way around.

Oh, interesting. I don't have that coat product, but I could experiment with something else, I guess.
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

Hierarchial materials often (usually) require the base figure (not the clothing) to be selected when applying the materials.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Do you get any kind of error message?

Nope, nothing.

• laisanaelaisanae Posts: 4
    edited December 2022

barbult said:

I looked at the product page. I don't see that it says it works on G8.1. You will probably have to put the coat on G8, apply the hierarchical material preset to the coat and either copy all the surface settings to the coat on G8.1, or save non-hierarchical material presets from the G8 coat and then apply those to the G8.1 coat.

It says right there on the top right: Compatible Figures: Genesis 8 Female, Genesis 8.1 Female

Is there a step-by-step guide to what you wrote, that I could use? I never tried anything like that.

EDIT: for good measure, I checked with a Gen8 figure and it behaves the same way. Can't apply the material.

Post edited by laisanae on
  • PerttiA said:

Hierarchial materials often (usually) require the base figure (not the clothing) to be selected when applying the materials.

Tried it that way, no luck. :(

laisanae said:

barbult said:

It says right there on the top right: Compatible Figures: Genesis 8 Female, Genesis 8.1 Female

Is there a step-by-step guide to what you wrote, that I could use? I never tried anything like that.

Ah, yes, I see. I think Daz just sticks that in there for every G8 item, without ever testing in G8.1.  Just like they automatically say everything is always compatible with the latest Daz Studio version, whether that is true or not. Anyway...

• Load Genesis 8 Female (not 8.1)
    • Select G8F and load the coat, fit to her.
    • Apply one of the hierarchical material presets. Does it work?
    • If so, select the coat and File/Save As/Material Preset (not Hierarchical Material Preset)
    • Load G8.1F
    • Select G8.1F and load the coat, fit to her.
    • Select the coat on G8.1 F.
    • Apply the material preset you just saved.
    • If the coat has separate buttons or buckles that were attached with rigid follow nodes, you will have to do the same steps, saving a material preset for those.

Since I don't own that coat, all this is guess work for me. You should REALLY submit a help request and ask customer service about this problem.

• It isn't necessary to fit the coat to Genesis 8, as long as it is parented.

Richard Haseltine said:

It isn't necessary to fit the coat to Genesis 8, as long as it is parented.

OK, but why would someone want to just parent the coat to the character? Then it wouldn't follow her pose would it? Or are you just offering a technical clarification about how "hierarchical" works, rather than normal usage advice?

• barbult said:

laisanae said:

barbult said:

Ah, yes, I see. I think Daz just sticks that in there for every G8 item, without ever testing in G8.1.  Just like they automatically say everything is always compatible with the latest Daz Studio version, whether that is true or not. Anyway...

• Load Genesis 8 Female (not 8.1)
    • Select G8F and load the coat, fit to her.
    • Apply one of the hierarchical material presets. Does it work?
    • If so, select the coat and File/Save As/Material Preset (not Hierarchical Material Preset)
    • Load G8.1F
    • Select G8.1F and load the coat, fit to her.
    • Select the coat on G8.1 F.
    • Apply the material preset you just saved.
    • If the coat has separate buttons or buckles that were attached with rigid follow nodes, you will have to do the same steps, saving a material preset for those.

Ah, thanks a ton for the guide! I'll see if I can make it work with 8.1

Bummer though... at first it didn't want to play nice with Gen 8 either, but after some furious mouse-clicking I somehow got the coat and boots to work. Not the dress though.

You should REALLY submit a help request and ask customer service about this problem.

Yeah, I might try that if all else fails. Thanks a lot for the help though. :)

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,781

@laisanae, I have this product so did a quick test before dinner.

I concur that the first time I tried this I had the same result that you did - applying the materials just did nothing and I only got a plain shiny white outfit.

However, if you load the items with white icons (in the wearables subfolder if not using Smart Content) instead of the light blue icons then the materials do work fine. These are the ones that then say "MRB Smooth Morph Maker" in their names in the Scene list.

There might be some documentation that explains this but I am hungry so I am going to eat now.

• barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

OK, but why would someone want to just parent the coat to the character? Then it wouldn't follow her pose would it? Or are you just offering a technical clarification about how "hierarchical" works, rather than normal usage advice?

The coat could be fitted to 8.1 and parented to 8 - then it would follow the intended character in sahpe and pose, but the presets would still work.

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

The coat could be fitted to 8.1 and parented to 8 - then it would follow the intended character in sahpe and pose, but the presets would still work.

Wow, now that is practical advice! 

• The H.Mats are applying to the Smooth Morph Maker versions that load with the "Full Outfit" option instead of to all of the versions.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,444

Chungdan explained (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5947171/#Comment_5947171) the need to load the Wearables to get the proper hierarchy. Hierarchical materials presets must absolutely follow the same structure as when they were saved, there is no way around it. You could save out individual material presets for each piece (after loading a full outfit).

You can load "MBR All" or, under Wearables, "MRB Boots", "MRB Coat" and/or "MRB Dress", while Genesis 8 or 8.1 is selected in the scene. Everything will be properly parented and fit to the target figure, and Hierarchical Materials will apply properly to the whole outfit, or the individual items.

If you want to try loading the individual pieces (MRB Smooth Morph Makers and the separate Wardrobe pieces) there is a slightly different workflow. Load the Smooth Morph Makers first, then for each one, add the corresponding Wardrobe item. They will initially look terrible, all wrinkly and distorted, but that can quickly be remedied.

The thing is, the Wardrobe item is being fit to the Smooth Morph Maker, but should be fit to the figure (G8F or G8.1F). However, they should remain *parented* to the Smooth Morph Maker. Doesn't seem intuitive, but that's how it works, otherwise the Hierarchical Materials presets will not work.

True, the individual parts are redundant if the Wearables set everything up properly, so just ignore them.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,277

Some vendors always take for granted that users understand all these mechanics quite well... Placing one or two tip files into the product would make things to be done much easier.