Flickering in Animation

I am having an issue where I have created an animation but it is flickering everywhere, resulting in a very bad quality. The images themselves are quite good quality, however, when combining them in an image series, the result is less than ideal. I have been playing around with various settings for the past few days, however, I am at a complete loss as to what the problem is. What I have noticed between one image and the next, is that little details in the scene, such as skin texture seem to change just slightly, resulting in this bad-quality animation. I have attached a link to the animation to this post (play at fullscreen to see the issue better). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://streamable.com/gfh5oc

Comments

• I don't know what that is, but I wonder if this is a clue>>

It looks like there's nothing wrong with the character or scene, because the "flicker" is really a totally separate set of artifacts that are moving in alignment with the camera. The artifacts do not look like they're on any prop in the scene, because they move in unison with the camera.

If that were a real life video, I'd say you were using a camera with a slightly dusty lens.

That's all I can figure. I have had very little actual rendering experience over the years due to other things in life, so I don't know details about how to set up for scene quality. Good luck!

I hope someone with that sort of experience will step in here and help you with this.

• NotAnArtist said:

I don't know what that is, but I wonder if this is a clue>>

It looks like there's nothing wrong with the character or scene, because the "flicker" is really a totally separate set of artifacts that are moving in alignment with the camera. The artifacts do not look like they're on any prop in the scene, because they move in unison with the camera.

If that were a real life video, I'd say you were using a camera with a slightly dusty lens.

That's all I can figure. I have had very little actual rendering experience over the years due to other things in life, so I don't know details about how to set up for scene quality. Good luck!

I hope someone with that sort of experience will step in here and help you with this.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I still haven't figured out what the issue is. If anyone could provide a potential solution, I would be very thankful.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

You need to give more information on how do you make the animation, what's your framerate, at what dimensions do you render the images, are the same size images used in the application (which one?) that you use in making the video?

• PerttiA said:

You need to give more information on how do you make the animation, what's your framerate, at what dimensions do you render the images, are the same size images used in the application (which one?) that you use in making the video?

Thank you for the reply. Here is some more information regarding the animation:

• The animation is simply a camera pan. It starts at frame 0 at a certain angle, and at the last frame, it is at another angle.
    • The animation has 181 frames. I have tried using 91 frames, but the issue still persisted.
    • The framerate of the animation is 30fps.
    • All of the images are rendered at 2560x1440.
    • I have tried making the video using Daz3D itself, Shutter Encoder, and DaVinci Resolve, however, they all have the same issue.

One can't get any media information from the video, sample attached

Vid1.JPG
    311 x 345 - 33K
  • PerttiA said:

One can't get any media information from the video, sample attached

Didn't know about that, sorry. You can find the media information attached.

vlc_0EW3NHk5M3.png
    340 x 287 - 12K

Have you tried other codecses?

• PerttiA said:

Have you tried other codecses?

Yes I have tried H.264, OGV, and AV1. However, I do not think that the issue is from the video itself. I think the issue is resulting from the rendered images. Each image seems to have different details than the others. It is hard to explain, so I will attach 2 different frames that come one after the other, to this post. It is very easily visible if you flip between the images in a fast manner, especially when looking at the skin of the model.

• mobrechaelmobrechael Posts: 35

Someone will say this thread is necro'd but considering the age of the internet...is half a year really necro'd. The problem is with iray. It has so many bells and whistles, and wants to overthink everythng.it seems. Many times this overthinking leads to, as an example, a single face to reflect differently from one frame to another. That is your flickering. I have said this many times before, Daz could be the go to for animation but is hampered by the lack of desire to focus on the animation side of the programing. Yeah, making assets like clothes and end tables is fun....but Daz could be the leading software to go to but instead it is just a gas station you stop at on your way to to something more useful and that is kind of sad.