Compress High Poly Hair Models for FBX Export?

stellar.elitestellar.elite Posts: 2
edited December 2022 in New Users

I'm having an issue bringing an FBX to C4D. The hair I'm using is the high top fade hair and it's afro textured so I guess it's hugely detailed and not optimized to work anywhere but Daz? I'm not really well versed on Daz's inner workings. When I export the FBX is 80-100 MB and C4D can't handle this and just freezes/goes unresponsive.

Is there any way to compress it down to a smaller size so I can get it into C4D? I've already set it to base resolution and am not using morphs on export but file is still too big. I've also successfully exported it without the hair and file was only 15 mgs so it's definitely the hair. It's odd because I've used this exact model with the hair in C4D before and it was fine though I think I may have used bridge. Having issues with that as well but may have to uninstall all that and try again. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Post edited by stellar.elite on

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited December 2022

high top fade hair  [...] so I guess it's hugely detailed

Not everyone has that bundle handy. So please post screenshots, and in this case of the wireframe, or it's basically impossible to answer your question.

When I export the FBX

Fbx is useful when there's a rig. If your aim is just to work on the hair meshes : Hide everything but the hair. Export as obj. Most widely used format to export geometry. Just doing that should fix your issue. C4D might freeze because of whatever options you chose in the fbx export format. If the rig of your hair is exported too that's probably what causes the freeze (screenshots of your Daz export settings and C4D import settings could help).

Obj is much more simple thus more compatible. It contains basically only vertices position and pixels projection coordinates. So if you work on geometry only : forget about fbx.

[...] have to uninstall all that and try again

Reinstalling as a "solution" is synonym of giving up. It's a loss of time and there is usually always an explanation to a problem ;)

Post edited by hansolocambo on