Where should I store my content?

Hi - I used to use DAZ a few years ago - I started getting back into it not so long about but I have a lot of content and it's filled up my hard drive. Where do people store their content? Do you all just use external drives or do you store it on the cloud and how does that work? Looking for suggestions because my hard drive is full! Thanks

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,781

Well, everyone will have different setups but I store all my 3D content on a Synology network storage device. That obviously has some speed impact I guess but it works for me.

My mac only has a 2TB internal HD and I use that for a whole bunch of stuff. Only use the Windows machine for Daz & Steam but that has a 1TB drive. So neither machine has enough space to store my Daz folders locally.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,724

When I configured this PC I am now using I took DAZ asset filesize into account and installed 3, 4TB HDs. I also use external drives to save backups just in case.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,952
    edited December 2022

I store my content on in internal HDD. The Daz Studio program itself is installed on my C drive SSD. I backup the whole computer daily to my Synology NAS. I sync my content directory, scene folder and render folder with the NAS, so if I accidently overwrite a file (save instead of save as, for example), I can retrieve the previous version from the NAS, even if that file was new today and not included in yesterday's backup.

Post edited by barbult on
  • I store all my content on internal storage (SDD / HDD), and I'm also using multiple libraries: one for the general Daz 3D contents (= stuff bought on the Daz webstore), one for 3rd party contents for testing and one for local 3rd party contents. And finally, obviously, the "My Daz library" where I store my own work.

And yah, Synology NAS storage units are amazing. I also use one for backups and media storage.

• I keep my DAZ library on my PC's hard disk. But I keep a backup on an external drive attached to the PC along with all my other important stuff. Files in use get backed up at least daily. Every week, I do a full backup of the external drive to another drive I keep in my fireproof safe.  Once a month that second drive gets swapped for another I keep in the safe deposit box at the bank.   

I tried doing the online back up thing but quit for 2 reasons: 1. It took FOREVER to back up all the things I keep on my external drives. 2. Having those services "active" slowed my PC to a crawl. The bank is just down the street and along the route I use to run most errands so it's no big deal to stop in and take a minute to do the swap.

• semperequstri said:

I keep my DAZ library on my PC's hard disk. But I keep a backup on an external drive attached to the PC along with all my other important stuff. Files in use get backed up at least daily. Every week, I do a full backup of the external drive to another drive I keep in my fireproof safe.  Once a month that second drive gets swapped for another I keep in the safe deposit box at the bank.   

I tried doing the online back up thing but quit for 2 reasons: 1. It took FOREVER to back up all the things I keep on my external drives. 2. Having those services "active" slowed my PC to a crawl. The bank is just down the street and along the route I use to run most errands so it's no big deal to stop in and take a minute to do the swap.

That's actually a pretty good idea esp. for business - keeping backup storage(s) at a different physical location. As some agency used to mention, one fire same house - all gone. 

I bought the largest TB external drive available at the time and use that to store my working D/S content on. Have a 2nd one for backup of installers {and lots of other junk for texturing, etc.}.

• Catherine3678ab said:

That's actually a pretty good idea esp. for business - keeping backup storage(s) at a different physical location. As some agency used to mention, one fire same house - all gone. 

I bought the largest TB external drive available at the time and use that to store my working D/S content on. Have a 2nd one for backup of installers {and lots of other junk for texturing, etc.}.

I learned that trick from work in the days before things like online backups and small external HD were unknown. Everything was backed up on to tape cartridges back then and some kind of off site storage was vital!