3D Printer - asking for advice

Hello!

I'll do the required Google search and read a lot before deciding, but as I believe some of you are already experienced with that, I ask: what should I be looking for when buying a 3D Printer? My use case: complete beginner in 3D Printing, strictly home/hobbist use, looking for a good cost/benefit, with good features but without breaking the bank. I also live in a country where the options are limited, so specific models suggestions are welcome but, as not all of them will be available here, my main focus is:

- Types of printers/technologies/etc, advantages and drawbacks of each one

- Most important features to look for

- Good brands

- Any other detail you consider important.

Thanks!

Comments

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,340

You can probably eliminate a lot of research by deciding if you want to print with Resin (SLA, usually) or Filament (FDM). 

Resin printing generally has smaller build sizes and more expensive material (with more clean-up and a greater need for a well-ventilated room) while filament (usually PLA, though there's a wide range of filament types you can use beside PLA) is much, much cheaper and normally has larger build sizes.

Resin has a much higher resolution print quality; PLA doesn't print with as high a resolution, but can still be very decent.

It mostly depends on what sort of things you wnat to print, and at what size.

Once you decide on whether you want to use Resin or Filament materials, it will be easier for someone to suggest a printer and material.

Hope that helps a bit,

Walt Sterdan

• alaltaccalaltacc Posts: 151

Thanks for the reply!

I've been reading and watching some videos since I sent this message and I'll definitely use FDM. After my research, I'm inclined to buy the Ender 3 S1 Pro:

https://www.creality.com/products/creality-ender-3-s1-pro-fdm-3d-printer ;

Do you reckon it would be a good choice? I've decades of experience with IT (all sorts of things), I build my own PCs, etc; but I have zero experience with 3D printers (apart from the videos I've been watching).

wsterdan said:

You can probably eliminate a lot of research by deciding if you want to print with Resin (SLA, usually) or Filament (FDM). 

Resin printing generally has smaller build sizes and more expensive material (with more clean-up and a greater need for a well-ventilated room) while filament (usually PLA, though there's a wide range of filament types you can use beside PLA) is much, much cheaper and normally has larger build sizes.

Resin has a much higher resolution print quality; PLA doesn't print with as high a resolution, but can still be very decent.

It mostly depends on what sort of things you wnat to print, and at what size.

Once you decide on whether you want to use Resin or Filament materials, it will be easier for someone to suggest a printer and material.

Hope that helps a bit,

Walt Sterdan

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,340

I haven't used any Enders, but a few of my printers are based on them, and I think the one you've chosen is a solid machine with very decent specs. You can always read more reviews on it and possibly someone here with hands-on experience will chime in. I haven't heard of any major issues with it (internet troubleshooting tips for this printer are pretty much the same as for most FDM printers), and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

-- Walt Sterdan

Thanks again! 

wsterdan said:

I haven't used any Enders, but a few of my printers are based on them, and I think the one you've chosen is a solid machine with very decent specs. You can always read more reviews on it and possibly someone here with hands-on experience will chime in. I haven't heard of any major issues with it (internet troubleshooting tips for this printer are pretty much the same as for most FDM printers), and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

-- Walt Sterdan

• I have an Ender 3 S1 printer and I find it easy to use, good quality prints and quiet

Thanks! 

riverman63 said:

I have an Ender 3 S1 printer and I find it easy to use, good quality prints and quiet