Saving prop with strand based hair? (solved - kind of)

felisfelis Posts: 4,205

I have only used strand based hair limited.

But now I wanted to save a prop with strand based hair, and it was not obvious how to save that.

I tried to save as a prop, but that would only save the prop or the hair.

So how woukd one save a prop with strand based hair attached?

Post edited by felis on

Comments

• Did you try a Wearables preset?

• felisfelis Posts: 4,205

Thank you for the suggestion.

But it says I must select a figure to save a Wearable Preset.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,406
    edited January 2023
    felis said:

Thank you for the suggestion.

But it says I must select a figure to save a Wearable Preset.

You cant select the prop and save out wearable preset? If forcing you, you could convert prop to figure before saving under edit.
    Post edited by lilweep on
    You can also save the prop plus hair as scene subset.
  • Ah, sorry, yes. You will need to use a Scene Subset I think.

edited January 2023

Everything should be able to be saved as a scene subset, but that is in my view a clumsy way.

I tested a bit further, and I found something that I found better, although still odd.

Parent the SB hair to the prop, and then parent the prop to a character. And then you can save it as a wearable preset.

Edit: I realised that if you have the hair parented to the prop, and then move the prop, the hair will in render move the double distance, so in order to use the wearable preset, you have to unparent the hair first.

I think that strand based hair is not intended used by non-PAs.

Post edited by felis on
  • Strand-based hair should be usable by anyone, that is the intent (and it was developed from Garibaldi Express, which was a regular store product).

It might be.

I don't know how Gitabaldi worked.

But I will say if it is intended used by anyone, there should be a decent way of saving it.

edited January 2023
    Is there a reason you dont want to convert prop to figure? If you do that you can: 1. Fit figure/prop to char. 2. Unparent the fitted figure/prop. 3. Put sbh and figure/prop into it's own group (they should both be at same level of hierarchy within group). 4. Click on char and save the group as a wearable preset. This will load both the prop and sbh together in the group. Sbh should always remain unparented or it inherits double transform of parent. This may be a bug, so can submit to daz to investigate. It has been a bug since day 1.
    Post edited by lilweep on

lilweep said:

Is there a reason you dont want to convert prop to figure? If you do that you can: 1. Fit figure/prop to char. 2. Unparent the fitted figure/prop. 3. Put sbh and figure/prop into it's own group (they should both be at same level of hierarchy within group). 4. Click on char and save the group as a wearable preset. This will load both the prop and sbh together in the group. Sbh should always remain unparented or it inherits double transform of parent. This may be a bug, so can submit to daz to investigate. It has been a bug since day 1.

I have actually tried that.

For saving it you must:

1) Convert prop to figure

2) Parent hair to figure

3) Save hair as Wearble Preset

4) Save figure

And to use

1) Load figure

2) Load Wearable preset

3) Unparent hair

And I don't consider that a decent way, if it is intended for use of anybody.

Why are you parenting the hair...
    PAs can make Dforce SBH hair which can be saved better than our options. If your prop is like a hairy rug or something, I would save as scene subset (prop plus unparented SBH within a Group). If your prop is something that attaches to a character, such as eyebrows or hairstyle, then save as I described above (saving it as wearable preset, consisting of unparented group of sbh hair & hair scalp fitted to char)
  • chakib3chakib3 Posts: 37
    edited July 11

I put a coment for the one who stil looking about solution for that, 
    you have to make you SBH on a an object having the same shape as the head-or watever you put hair on i am not juging you :)  ) ,, make sur you use the transfer utility to apend your object to your figur,
    after you made a satisfying hair stile on this object  you create a groupe  you put the object and the sbh on the groupe, and you select the figure and save weareable preset , and the select the groupe and save as wearable preset, load it normaly
    that the way to do it you craft a wig

Post edited by chakib3 on
  • chakib3chakib3 Posts: 37

UncannyValet said:

There are full instructions here: https://www.deviantart.com/uncannyvalet/journal/Creating-Strand-Based-Hair-Daz-Studio-957594505

that the same instruction than what i just said

• UncannyValetUncannyValet Posts: 174

I wouldn't go that far.