Keeping the scale of oversize clothing on a Genesis figure ie: a mans coat on a boy

tarenbergtarenberg Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Hello all, this is my first post so bear with me. I am totally new at DAZ though I do have experience with Cinema4D. I am trying to put a mans coat on a child and still have it conform to any poses of the figure. I have used transform (awesome!) but in this case I don't want the coat to re-scale. Can anyone point me in the right direction to accomplish this? I assume I would have to do something with collision and parenting but am hoping for an easier way. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

What figure was the coat made for, and what figure is the child?

You can use the Autofit option to fit clothing for other figures to the Genesis child, is that what you mean?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

No What the OP wants is for child to be dressing up in a grown up's clothes, and have them move with the child, without resizing to fit the child.

Children love to play dress up and things.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited August 2012

Are you asking if you can take a grown mans coat and put it on a child without it shrinking down to kids size?

(chohole beat me to it)

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

Never thought of this one. Very good question. I'm going to lurk in this thread and learn what can be done to achieve this.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,074
    edited August 2012

maybe conforming an invisible adult figure to the child wearing the coat?
    the dynamic fantasy robe not conformed, just used as a dynamic prop might work too.
    maybe this done as an animated drape with the kid in the air lowered to a plane for floor draping.
    he would start tposed so the robe would fit.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

4.5 autofits the items with character morphs included (I think they might be hidden properties, so turn that on in parameters tab). There, you can zero the unwanted morphs such as "child" which might make the clothes big again. I'd try myself, but I have a heavy render going on and eating all my CPU and RAM right now...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,566
    edited December 1969

I suspect that zeroing the auto-morphs will lead to unsightly crumpling. This is really a situation where dynamic clothing will be the answer, if available, as the clothes are going to need to bend in a different place from their basic design.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited August 2012

I suspect that zeroing the auto-morphs will lead to unsightly crumpling. This is really a situation where dynamic clothing will be the answer, if available, as the clothes are going to need to bend in a different place from their basic design.

I'd agree with Richard's point about the axes of bends shifting, but DAZ dynamics are pretty aggressive at applying shrink to fit, so that may not work either.

ETA: Actually the shrink to fit issue isn't as bad as I thought it would be, the example below is K4 wearing the M4 Doorman coat. It might work better with an older child and a simpler pose. This only had 150 drape cycles, so it can be improved on. The major issue I see is that it isn't pooling on the floor, but trying to stay matched to the legs - driving up gravity might help, so might an animated drape, but we're really getting beyond Studio beginner techniques.

K4_Test.jpg
    343 x 455 - 36K
    Post edited by DWG on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Possibly exporting an obj of the coat, scaling up/positioning/adjusting the coat to fit larger on the base genesis (so it works on more morphs) or child morph, exporting the result again then loading that morph in as a morph target? This may have issues with the sleeves and bottom of the coat touching the ground.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,566
    edited December 1969

DWG said:

I'd agree with Richard's point about the axes of bends shifting, but DAZ dynamics are pretty aggressive at applying shrink to fit, so that may not work either.

ETA: Actually the shrink to fit issue isn't as bad as I thought it would be, the example below is K4 wearing the M4 Doorman coat. It might work better with an older child and a simpler pose. This only had 150 drape cycles, so it can be improved on. The major issue I see is that it isn't pooling on the floor, but trying to stay matched to the legs - driving up gravity might help, so might an animated drape, but we're really getting beyond Studio beginner techniques.

Did you fit the suit to K4 or just parent it and do an animated drape?

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited August 2012

It should work well with dynamic clothing if you don't fit the cloth but place it close to the child then adjust the child arms from the base pose, so that there is a minimal poke through of hands or other parts. Then do some few static simulation to let the cloth begin adjusting

After that go to pose and animate and go to a few frames (10 or 15) and begin to pose the child like you want it to be and simulate 15 frame
    If it doesn't fit well animate slower movement and simulate from beginning

I got it working with M4 dynamic sweater in 15 frames

Dynchild.jpg
    456 x 536 - 114K
    Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on
  • Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

I did further test and tried with non dynamic clothing. I wouldn't use fitted cloth to do that but rather place the cloth close to the child and adjust the cloth morph and pose to to be as close as possible to the child so that there is no poke through

After that when you have something correct, use mjc's script to export to blender and use blender's dynamics to simulate the cloth on the child then reimport the cloth in DS4 as an object

Didn't try with long sleeve yet but I think it will be more difficult

24-08-2012_08-23-30.jpg
    312 x 480 - 27K
    24-08-2012_08-22-09.jpg
    329 x 474 - 37K
    edited December 1969

using the fantasy robe

oversize.gif
    500 x 500 - 2M
    drape.png
    800 x 800 - 450K
  • tarenbergtarenberg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for all the help. Wendy this is exactly what I'm looking for. How dod you do it?

• tarenbergtarenberg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm using a coat that I created with C4D can I get the same effect with it?

edited December 1969

I used an Optitex dynamic cloth figure, other things cannot be clothified in Studio I am afraid
    to do that one would need Poser
    C4D has cloth dynamics as far as I know (beyond my budget) maybe you can export an fbx of the animated figure there.