Daz Install Manager (DIM) 1.4.1.69, Now Available! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• memcneil70 said:

I have three Daz files on different computers and two of them save the zip files on external drives. I have noticed that the WIN10 laptop which does not save zip files but stores the Daz files on an 8TB desktop hard drive connects/receives new file/updates faster than the Win10 desktop and the MacBookPro M1 which saves the zips, but their times are respectively around 15 min to 5 min roughly. The Win 10 desktop likes to 'not see' installed files randomly and I get to reboot the computer two or three times after checking all connections. This generally happens after an update to DIM and even if I reboot and reopen DIM. It is what it is. I live with it. 

That certainly shouldn't happen. The issue with having to reboot sounds like an inconsisten drive letter assignement, though that wouldn't account for any relation to updates.

• benelusmbenelusm Posts: 0
    edited July 2023

WandW said:

What the heck did you guys do to the interface??  I have been running it at this size (which I belive is the default) since it was in beta, but now I can only see the first two letters of the product names. angry

IMS

Is there some setting I am overlooking?

(Edit by mod to fix quote)

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • benelusm said:

WandW said:

What the heck did you guys do to the interface??  I have been running it at this size (which I belive is the default) since it was in beta, but now I can only see the first two letters of the product names. angry

IMS

Is there some setting I am overlooking?

(Edit by mod to fix quote)

The additional columns, for information that was previously only in the tooltip, require additional space and it has also been adjusted for clarity. I have just made the window larger.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,870

Richard Haseltine said:

memcneil70 said:

I have three Daz files on different computers and two of them save the zip files on external drives. I have noticed that the WIN10 laptop which does not save zip files but stores the Daz files on an 8TB desktop hard drive connects/receives new file/updates faster than the Win10 desktop and the MacBookPro M1 which saves the zips, but their times are respectively around 15 min to 5 min roughly. The Win 10 desktop likes to 'not see' installed files randomly and I get to reboot the computer two or three times after checking all connections. This generally happens after an update to DIM and even if I reboot and reopen DIM. It is what it is. I live with it. 

That certainly shouldn't happen. The issue with having to reboot sounds like an inconsisten drive letter assignement, though that wouldn't account for any relation to updates.

A few years back, some knowledgeable person on this forum (perhaps Richard) pointed out that storing zip files in the MyDaz3dLibrary folder significantly increased initial DIM response time. They suggested that zips be moved/saved (if at all) to a different folder. I did so, experienced an exponential decrease in DIM load time (from 5-15 minutes to less than a minute), and I haven't looked back, so to speak.

• xyer0 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

memcneil70 said:

A few years back, some knowledgeable person on this forum (perhaps Richard) pointed out that storing zip files in the MyDaz3dLibrary folder significantly increased initial DIM response time. They suggested that zips be moved/saved (if at all) to a different folder. I did so, experienced an exponential decrease in DIM load time (from 5-15 minutes to less than a minute), and I haven't looked back, so to speak.

Yes, I can certainly recall that - although I might also have been suggesting it, with the .dsx left behind, as a way to keep the folder size down without losing update notification.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,035

Richard Haseltine said:

xyer0 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

memcneil70 said:

Yes, I can certainly recall that - although I might also have been suggesting it, with the .dsx left behind, as a way to keep the folder size down without losing update notification.

I set-up my storage for the zip files on different drives because of that conversation. On the MacBook Pro, MyDAZ3dLibrary is on a 8Tb external drive and the DIM is on a 4 or 5 Tb external drive. On the desktop Win10 the MyDAZ3dLibrary is on an internal F: drive and that DIM is on an external 4 or 5 Tb drive. I am on the one computer that doesn't store the zips. I have learned to plan my work around the time it takes to do tasks, be it downloading, render times (old cards), or most frustrating this week, OS updates that ate limited time on all the computers, excep my old iMac that Apple has abandoned.

Mary

• memcneil70 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

xyer0 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

memcneil70 said:

I set-up my storage for the zip files on different drives because of that conversation. On the MacBook Pro, MyDAZ3dLibrary is on a 8Tb external drive and the DIM is on a 4 or 5 Tb external drive. On the desktop Win10 the MyDAZ3dLibrary is on an internal F: drive and that DIM is on an external 4 or 5 Tb drive. I am on the one computer that doesn't store the zips. I have learned to plan my work around the time it takes to do tasks, be it downloading, render times (old cards), or most frustrating this week, OS updates that ate limited time on all the computers, excep my old iMac that Apple has abandoned.

Mary

I just couldn't entirely recall the context, that was why I was slightly caveating it.

You need to share the drive is going to limit you to the default format, as I understand it, which is (at least on Windows) quite noticably slower than using a native format (I think switching to NTFS on the external i use for DIM upped speed by something like a quarter or a third).

• DIM General Release bugs as of 8/5/2023

* DIM did not display an update for Daz Studio 4.21 General Release. I'm not certain whether I had the current generall release or not but I haven't used Studio on this system for a long time so I am assuming this is a bug. Worthwhile having feedback from others.

* DIM while installing did not allow me to switch tabs between Ready to Download, Ready to Install, and Installed while installing Gen 9 essentials.

Worth feedback from others to see if they have they can recreate the same issues.

-TG

• Daz Studio 4.5 SDK showing as purchased in my accouutn on the store but not showing up in DIM, even with sku::14876 in search bar. Likely a store side issue so I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread to post this in.

-TG

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,461
    edited August 2023

Comments split from: Daz Studio 4.21[.0.x] Pro, General Release! as they relate to Install Manager rather than Daz Studio.

twilightravengames said:

DIM General Release bugs as of 8/5/2023

* DIM did not display an update for Daz Studio 4.21 General Release. I'm not certain whether I had the current generall release or not but I haven't used Studio on this system for a long time so I am assuming this is a bug. Worthwhile having feedback from others.

Check that your Download Filters (button on the Ready To Download tab) include the relevant software and platforum options

* DIM while installing did not allow me to switch tabs between Ready to Download, Ready to Install, and Installed while installing Gen 9 essentials.

This is the expected/intended behaviour if you are (as is the default) using a package option rather than selecting individual products. Once the package(s) are done you will be able to interact with the UI as usual.

Daz Studio 4.5 SDK showing as purchased in my accouutn on the store but not showing up in DIM, even with sku::14876 in search bar. Likely a store side issue so I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread to post this in.

This might also be a matter of Download Filters.

-TG

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Found the new DIM when looking to see if I had installed something. I liked the video link to watch after I purchased my cart today and downloaded. Nice idea. 

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,129

And is there a way to  Remove this   " Launchable Products "   part    +  Thanx

• ed3D said:

Not as far as I know, it is a feature that Daz Central had and which has now been transferred to DIM as that replaces Daz Central.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,945

memcneil70 said:

Found the new DIM when looking to see if I had installed something. I liked the video link to watch after I purchased my cart today and downloaded. Nice idea. 

What video link? Where did you see that? What is the video about?

• barbult said:

memcneil70 said:

When you start the download queue a little box will appear at the bottom of DIM, currently it is linking to one of Jay's videos.

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

memcneil70 said:

When you start the download queue a little box will appear at the bottom of DIM, currently it is linking to one of Jay's videos.

Thanks. I don't see it, because I don't currently have anything to download. I'll watch for it next time I buy something.

• barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

memcneil70 said:

Thanks. I don't see it, because I don't currently have anything to download. I'll watch for it next time I buy something.

It won't show until you actually download - just generating a list of downloads doesn't cause it to display

barbult said:

memcneil70 said:

Sorry barbult, I haven't been on the forums most of the day. I took advantage of the sale yesterday and bought some M4 outfits and some old sets that needed metadata. So I have been busy on three computers setting them up properly and wore out my hands. Maybe if you uninstall something and reinstall it, (download a fresh file), the link to the YouTube video will come on? It is on Rembrandt lighting. 

Mary

• Richard Haseltine said:

ed3D said:

Not as far as I know, it is a feature that Daz Central had and which has now been transferred to DIM as that replaces Daz Central.

Which wasn't very far - right-click in the headers and you can disable the column with Launchable, see

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/change_log_1_4_1_22#1_4_1_1
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/change_log_1_4_1_22#1_4_1_18

my apologies for the wrong answer.

• Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

memcneil70 said:

assuming that the account to which the user is logged in has active notifications, of course.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,129

Richard Haseltine said:

Richard Haseltine said:

ed3D said:

Which wasn't very far - right-click in the headers and you can disable the column with Launchable, see

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/change_log_1_4_1_22#1_4_1_1
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/change_log_1_4_1_22#1_4_1_18

my apologies for the wrong answer.

`  Thats'  alright  +  Thanx then  +  

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,493

Just updated. Started downloading today's products.

GET THAT DAMN AD OUT OF MY INSTALL MANAGER!

murgatroyd314 said:

In the upper right side of that window, is an option to close the window. 

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,493

memcneil70 said:

murgatroyd314 said:

In the upper right side of that window, is an option to close the window. 

Which doesn't show up for about ten seconds, and the nuisance pops up again the next time I start downloading something.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

...crikey, another update.  I just wanted to look something up im tej IM to see if it was installed and where it was installed to only to be notified that an update is ready. So now I have to do a search though the Daz programme ( which also takes forever) for the item as it was a special holiday gift, not something sold through the store.  It seems that just about every time I fire up the IM there's a new update that has to download and install. 

• so...

are we going to have to suffer an update everytime they decide to promote a video or something?

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

so...

are we going to have to suffer an update everytime they decide to promote a video or something?

Of course not, see the change log for some info, but clearly the system can download new notifications without needin an application update. However, something that needs to communcate with a remote server clearly needs to eb kept in sync and this is a new feature, so it probably is going to get updated quite often for a while.

...crikey this is almost as bad as my phone which tends to update rather frequently as of late .I had 3 updates in the last 10 days.

edited September 2023

...just uninstalled the dForce Companion and dForce Companion 2 through the IM and for the last several minutes the progress monitor is still scrolling indicating that the IM is "busy".  Normally it only takes a few moments for the uninstalled item(s) to appear in the Ready to Install tab.

Not wanting to shut it down as I feel I may lose the files and have nothing to reinstall.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Install manager is working fine and efficiently for me. Even downloading is fairly fast this evening. I have not installed or uninstalled any plugins today, though. Perhaps there is still an Install Manager problem with not properly handling plugin installers.