Dome rotation with camera

I had an idea. Perhaps this is a suggestion only to the developers of DAZ.
It would be cool to be able to rotate the HDRI sphere along with the camera. That is, for example, when the camera rotates on the Y axis, the Dome rotates, or the Y value of the camera equals the Dome Rotation value.
It would make it a lot easier to use HDRI as the main lighting.
Is it possible to implement this? I'm sure it would be an incredibly cool tool.

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,907

It could be done via scripting.

But I don't thinkI understand the use case for this. You want to rotate around the object(s) in front of the camera, while keeping the HDRI lighting fixed in relation to the camera.

• nsk001nsk001 Posts: 10

felis said:

But I don't thinkI understand the use case for this. You want to rotate around the object(s) in front of the camera, while keeping the HDRI lighting fixed in relation to the camera.

Yes, you got that right. So the HDRI illumination will be the same no matter which side the camera is on. Now you have to rotate the environment in addition to the camera in the render settings, which is not very convenient.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,305

nsk001 said:

felis said:

Yes, you got that right. So the HDRI illumination will be the same no matter which side the camera is on. Now you have to rotate the environment in addition to the camera in the render settings, which is not very convenient.

Could you give a real world example where something has the same illumination no matter which direction you look? I am trying to picture a situation where it would be easier just to rotate the figure so that it always has the same illumination when it is facing the camera or just have illumination that is shadowless.

• ^Yeah, just create a new null and parent your whole scene to that, then rotate. Normally, you'd expect the lighting to change when you moved the camera. but if this is just to keep a 'light coming from the top right' type of thing for different images, it'd be easier to move/rotate the scene.

• nsk001nsk001 Posts: 10

Could you give a real world example where something has the same illumination no matter which direction you look? I am trying to picture a situation where it would be easier just to rotate the figure so that it always has the same illumination when it is facing the camera or just have illumination that is shadowless.

For example. I often use HDRI indoor lighting, for that I use an IRAY camera (Iray Section Plane node) where everything is hidden except what the camera sees. Sometimes this is a great option for indoor lighting and fast rendering.
    As written below, yes, you can use Null and rotate the scene, and leave the camera stationary, yes this is the way out, but it's not always convenient, especially when the scene is quite voluminous and need fine adjustments.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,305
    edited February 2023

nsk001 said:

For example. I often use HDRI indoor lighting, for that I use an IRAY camera (Iray Section Plane node) where everything is hidden except what the camera sees. Sometimes this is a great option for indoor lighting and fast rendering.
    As written below, yes, you can use Null and rotate the scene, and leave the camera stationary, yes this is the way out, but it's not always convenient, especially when the scene is quite voluminous and need fine adjustments.

I hate to say that confused me even more but it doesn't sort out your problem!

Post edited by nemesis10 on
  • gramgram Posts: 14

Just adding my vote for this, exactly for the same reasons as nsk001 described.

I dont know how to make it more clear though :-)