Onedrive hell

I got a new computer.  I used DIM to reinstall all my Daz assets on this new computer.  I made a couple renders and got a message that my storage was full.  This computer has 4TB memory, there's no way I could fill it that fast, so upon further investigation, I found it was Onedrive saying that it was full and that I need to buy more Onedrive space.  WTF, I didn't opt into Onedrive?  So I googled how to get rid of Onedrive, took the steps listed and unlinked it.  When I got rid of Onedrive it took my Daz assets with it, including my new renders.  I was able to get the renders in a onedrive deleted items folder, but I had to reactivate onedrive to do that.  After getting my stuff back, I unlinked Onedrive again and reinstalled the Daz assets I'd lost when I unlinked Onedrive.  I went back to work and got the storage full message again.  Somehow reinstalling my Daz assets reactivated my Onedrive account.  I uninstalled Daz and ditched onedrive again.  I installed just DS.  Onedrive came back.  I unlinked Onedrive again.  I installed just Genesis 8 starter essentials.  Onedrive came back again.  Onedrive is beginning to feel like a bad horror movie villain at this point.  Does anyone know how to make this Jason Voorhees of Microsoft go away and stay away for good?

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,266
    edited February 2023

I agree, OneDrive is an absolute nightmare. Installing 'any' program can get it triggered again, that included D/S.

I managed to stop the insanity of the double storing of content into both a OneDrive folder and the computer's folder however it wasn't easy and not exactly a smooth way that I could provide a step-by-step.

I never had OneDrive set up; from the getgo thought I had it deleted. So couldn't do the unlink step without reinstalling it. Not happening.

I deleted the OneDrive folder, it came back. Persistant devil it is.

So I renamed the folder to "delete this" - had the computer rebooted to be sure there was no One Drive folder, then installed D/S manually. Several times. Somehow enough attempts at changing this and that finally I had success.

But couldn't get rid of the "delete this" folder because apparently the OneDrive folder is a system folder so regardless what it's called, it keeps coming back. Like a bad meal. So I renamed it back to OneDrive, changed its icon to a huge big red "X" - every now and then some empty folders courtesty of some D/S plugins - and also some junk from another program, gets written into it but nothing of value. And yes I can then delete those and the programs all still work. The weight of a few empty folders is something I won't lose any sleep over. I have over 10TB of content though and there was no b.way I wanted 10TB in OneDrive as well as 10TB on the the computer -- taking up 20TB of available space. W11Pro might be better for handling memory but it is a nightmare for handling OneDrive.

End of rant.

eta: The bulk of content was added via DIM and I had to check ALL the addresses before letting it run; each time. Or yes, something there reverts back to the hideous OneDrive folder.

etcorrect G to TB

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,443

If you are installing to the default location in My Documents, that folder is part of OneDrive by default, also. Either exclude that folder from OneDrive, or install your content to a different folder.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015
    edited February 2023

If one uses non-default folders (on another drive) OneDrive should not interfere.

In general it is a bad idea to store ones files on C-drive

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • OneDrive no exactly come with instructions.

on my laptop W11 normal, no problems

on my desktop w11 Pro, OneDrive is nightmare

It should not have My Documents [major section] automatically linked to OneDrive. That should have been an option for us to choose, not the OS to decide for us.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

Open Task Manager, go to the Startup tab, right-click Microsoft Onedrive and select "disable". If OneDrive is currently running, go back to the Processes tab, scroll down to Microsoft OneDrive in Background Processes and end the process.

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 749

I know this is a late comment but.. somewhere along the way you did opt-in for OneDrive. For example, the only way it would be able to work is you using your Microsoft account to log onto Windows vs. (for example) a local account. Once you set up the account it asks you what online features you want to use, this includes OneDrive.

Personally I don't share the negative opinion about OneDrive, though it's definitely lacking in some regards. Basically the only thing you need to do is go over its settings and make sure it's not syncing everything, or... only syncs specific folders and not everything.

Seriously, OneDrive can make for one heck of an online protection tool; should ransomware suddenly hit your computer then it's highly unlikely for OneDrive to follow up, thus keeping all your stuff fully safe. It's also ideal (IMO) when you use both a PC and laptop, I love being able to work on something on my PC and then continue on that project while using my laptop.

• ShelLuser said:

I know this is a late comment but.. somewhere along the way you did opt-in for OneDrive. For example, the only way it would be able to work is you using your Microsoft account to log onto Windows vs. (for example) a local account. Once you set up the account it asks you what online features you want to use, this includes OneDrive.

... edited

Nope. Never opted in for OneDrive, in fact uninstalled it from the app collection asap during setup. Hence my fury at everything being double stored in 2 folders, Documents and OneDrive. OneDrive is apparently a system folder, it will not stay gone. W11Pro.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

Catherine3678ab said:

ShelLuser said:

... edited

Nope. Never opted in for OneDrive, in fact uninstalled it from the app collection asap during setup. Hence my fury at everything being double stored in 2 folders, Documents and OneDrive. OneDrive is apparently a system folder, it will not stay gone. W11Pro.

Have you actually disabled OneDrive in Windows? OneDrive is not a separate app, it is functionality that is inbuilt into Windows and having the app installed or not has no bearing on whether Windows backs up or syncs the My Documents and Pictures etc. folders to OneDrive.

• Ascania said:

Catherine3678ab said:

ShelLuser said:

... edited

Have you actually disabled OneDrive in Windows? OneDrive is not a separate app, it is functionality that is inbuilt into Windows and having the app installed or not has no bearing on whether Windows backs up or syncs the My Documents and Pictures etc. folders to OneDrive.

Could not follow through with any of the 'disabling' instructions I found because they all involved reinstalling/enabling OneDrive in the first place.

Well there was something called OneDrive that I recall uninstalling.

atm: Programs are working and not filling up the OneDrive folder so I just leave it alone except that I changed its icon to a great big red "X" ...

W11Home on my laptop did not cause all these problems. For the desktop I bought the W11Pro because its supposed to handle oodles of memory better.

Thank you.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588

I've had to do this on a couple of new machines.

If you still had Onedrive installed and logged in... There should be an "Unlink this PC" option in the onedrive settings accessed via the taskbar icon.

But first...
    The Desktop for Onedrive is a totally seperate location from the real windows Desktop.
    You should copy anything you want to keep to a temp location. Then copy it over to the blank Desktop you get after Unlinking.
    That will probably also apply to the other standard locations like /Documents, /Pictures, /Music etc.

• prixat said:

I've had to do this on a couple of new machines.

If you still had Onedrive installed and logged in... There should be an "Unlink this PC" option in the onedrive settings accessed via the taskbar icon.

But first...
    The Desktop for Onedrive is a totally seperate location from the real windows Desktop.
    You should copy anything you want to keep to a temp location. Then copy it over to the blank Desktop you get after Unlinking.
    That will probably also apply to the other standard locations like /Documents, /Pictures, /Music etc.

May my new computer last 'til doomsday! However if it doesn't yes, unlinking the PC is a good idea.

News to me; 2 desktop locations?! My cat just had kittens as the saying goes. Another day, another day ... I'll have to look and see what that's doing lol ...

• stefan.humsstefan.hums Posts: 132

Maybe O&O Shutup10++ for Windows 10 and also 11 can help to solve the Onedrive hell?
    https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

It can disable a lot of Windows spy "features", telemetry, sending private data to MS - and (at least in Windows 10) also disables Onedrive once and for all by a Windows policy. This setting is in the Local Machine tab, Windows Explorer group. They do not recommend to disable it, but if you do not want to use it at all, there is the switch to get rid off Onedrive.

Well, I can not say if it will work with Windows 11 like expected - I do not use 11 and also will not install this rubbish as long as 10 is still supported.