Question about Carpets or fluffy material in general

lachilachi Posts: 80

I am trying out some shaders and I have a question about the carpets in this pack: https://www.daz3d.com/homestyle-iray-shaders

I created a plane and applied some carpet shader onto it but it does not seem to look fluffy. 

On the image there are two planes a floor and a wall (90°) and the left shoe should be on the floor.

But neither around the shoe (right on the image) or at the edge to the wall I see fluff. 

How can I get it to look like carpet?

Carpet.jpg
2618 x 2360 - 1M

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,950

Those shaders just put a picture of a carpet on your flat plane. They have no fluff to actually raise above the plane. If you want TRUE fluffy carpets, you can use esha's Fluffy Rugs product.

• ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 513

Giving it the illusion of a fuzzy carpet would require a bump or normal map. Both types of maps give the impression of high and low spots using either grayscale (bump) or RGB (normal), though they don't actually change the texture's surface. They basically fool the render engine.

Since they don't change the actual texture's surface, if you are shooting at a low camera angle compared to the surface, the effect wouldn't be very noticable. And that is all I know about bump and normal maps.

There is a lot out there on the interwebs about bump and normal maps, and there are even a few free generators that you can play with. 

I did use the generator at https://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/  for a project once, and the results were decent for what I needed. You might want to see if you can use something like that to give it the appearance of depth.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

You could try bringing the image into photoshop, gimp or some other photo editor, convert it to grayscale, play with the highs and lows and use that as the bump map

• lachilachi Posts: 80

barbult said:

Those shaders just put a picture of a carpet on your flat plane. They have no fluff to actually raise above the plane. If you want TRUE fluffy carpets, you can use esha's Fluffy Rugs product.

Thank you, I will look into it.

But when I apply the same shader to the legs, it somehow gets volume. I still trying to understand all of it.

And I also applied the carpet shader to a box and it looks weird???

Carpet2.jpg
    2662 x 1348 - 1M
    edited March 2023

Chezjuan said:

Giving it the illusion of a fuzzy carpet would require a bump or normal map. Both types of maps give the impression of high and low spots using either grayscale (bump) or RGB (normal), though they don't actually change the texture's surface. They basically fool the render engine.

Since they don't change the actual texture's surface, if you are shooting at a low camera angle compared to the surface, the effect wouldn't be very noticable. And that is all I know about bump and normal maps.

There is a lot out there on the interwebs about bump and normal maps, and there are even a few free generators that you can play with. 

I did use the generator at https://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/  for a project once, and the results were decent for what I needed. You might want to see if you can use something like that to give it the appearance of depth.

PerttiA said:

You could try bringing the image into photoshop, gimp or some other photo editor, convert it to grayscale, play with the highs and lows and use that as the bump map

Thank you both, I will look into a bump map. 

Edit: I just looked into the DUF file of the shader and there is a normal map. I guess I just have to activate it somehow?

Post edited by lachi on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,724
    edited March 2023

lachi said:

barbult said:

Thank you, I will look into it.

But when I apply the same shader to the legs, it somehow gets volume. I still trying to understand all of it.

And I also applied the carpet shader to a box and it looks weird???

mesh density plays a part also. The object in the image is probably a simple mesh whereas the figure is a dense mesh. Shaders just give the illusion of density and are not really made for close up work

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on

FSMCDesigns said:

mesh density plays a part also. The object in the image is probably a simple mesh whereas the figure is a dense mesh. Shaders just give the illusion of density and are not really made for close up work

Thank you. 

Yes, the plane and the box have very simple meshes. I will play around with meshes and shaders a bit more.

But the image is not a close up, I just rendered at 8K and then cut out a section of the the floor to show what I mean.

edited March 2023

OK, I created a plane with more divisions and now it looks threedimensional.

carpet.png
    540 x 1080 - 678K
    CarpetFluffy.jpg
    1363 x 1169 - 1M
    Post edited by lachi on