problem categorizing 3rd party items

I tried categorizing 3rd party items, but it doen'st seem to work. Here's what I did:

1. Installed the 3rd party items (for example a dress set that came with shoes)

2. Confirmed that the items were actually in my DAZ program, under "My DAZ 3d Library/People/G8F/Clothing/*etc.*"

3. Right-clicked on the .duf file for the shoes and chose "Categorize..."

4. In the Categorize dialogue box that comes up I navigated to Wardrobe and checked the box for "Footwear"

5. Refreshed everything.

But the shoes don't show up in the Footwear category. I've tried it with multiple 3rd party items with no sucess. And restarting. Also, I tried creating a custom category, but the 3rd party items won't save to their either.

I could have sworn I was able to categorize 3rd party items in the past.

Did something change?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442

Right-click on the folder in the Content Library with the assets in question and select Edit Metadata. Select an item in the top half and see which, if any, categories it belongs to in the bottom half, Default or otherwise.

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 749

First of all I strongly suggest you don't pollute your personal library like this. Reserve that for your own creations, stuff you actually want to backup every once in a while. Instead... create a new folder somewhere and use that as your new 3rd party asset library. Easily added: right click the 'content library' pane, then select "Content Directory Manager". You can set it all up from there; I'd recommend using both Daz & Poser formats.

And yes, it's not just the category but more so the meta-data which you need to apply. As explained above me.

Note that Daz Studio also allows you to set up dependencies if you want to. So.. to make assets depend on others (see the 'Compatibilities' tab when adding meta data) and even the other way around (right click on the 'scene' tab, then go to edit => compatibility bases; careful there that you don't pollute your database).

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 602
    edited April 2023

@david_a3daa764

Organizing one's content is a deep hole down which one can fall.  I'm still falling.  Each Daz Studio user has to determine what works best for him or her.  Sometimes, that comes farther down the road after you have already decided on a categorization/organization scheme that then may not be what you had hoped it too be – perhaps too cumbersome, too simple, too cluttered, etc.

Your question is similar to one that I asked last year in the forum How to restore or backup Categories? (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/595001/how-to-restore-or-backup-categories/p2).  You can read the discussion that I had with @NorthOf45.

Good luck.

Post edited by jjoyner on
  • NorthOf45 said:

Right-click

NorthOf45: Awesome! Great! Thanks so much!!

• ShelLuser said:

First of all...

Brilliant! This is awesome! I really did not like mixing 3rd party stuff with the things from the DAZ site. I made a separate folder, and combined with the info on how to use the metadata to put in categories from the previous reply, I am good to go. 

Thanks so much!

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442

Glad it worked out! yes