Are there really any good artistic photoshop filters?

Really not impressed with default and free filters available for photoshop. Are there any quality ones out there anyone can recommend? Willing to try paid ones, but find the descriptions for most way oversell them. Looking for effects akin to the Prisma app, but I can’t batch edit in Prisma, so I want to make an action I can batch edit my animation frames with in photoshop instead of applying filters to one image at a time. Any links or info is appreciated.

Comments

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 911

If you haven't already, take a look at Envato Elements' Photoshop Add-ons. I have found many good filters, brushes, and actions there over the years. I hope you find what you're looking for!

• Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will check that one out!

• I'd recomend Topaz Labs to go along with the Envato recomendation.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,340
    edited April 2023

Quixotry said:

If you haven't already, take a look at Envato Elements' Photoshop Add-ons. I have found many good filters, brushes, and actions there over the years. I hope you find what you're looking for!

My preferred site as well; actions, far more than filters, add a lot of very impressive possibilities. I can spend hours just checking out some of the effects. As well, prices are very reasonable.

-- Walt Sterdan

Post edited by wsterdan on
  • mike_42547761 said:

Really not impressed with default and free filters available for photoshop. Are there any quality ones out there anyone can recommend? Willing to try paid ones, but find the descriptions for most way oversell them. Looking for effects akin to the Prisma app, but I can’t batch edit in Prisma, so I want to make an action I can batch edit my animation frames with in photoshop instead of applying filters to one image at a time. Any links or info is appreciated.

Have you looked at Filter Forge?  The library is huge and you can create your own. They often have big sales too!  

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229
    edited April 2023

I have recently noticed something called Rebel 6, if I remember correctly. I may have not gotten the name right - and I haven't tried it - but it is from the people who make Flame Painter.

There is also a long-time thing called Alien Skin, but it is pricey.

I recently found a bunch of things in one of the Corel Graphics Suite versions. Wait... okay the one one that sticks in my mind a.t.m. may not have been a filter as much as a "brush tool". Six of one, half a dozen of another perhaps? Anyway it certainly acts on bits of a hard line, and the point is, there's lots of hidden, "stock" things out there that are just waiting to be tried.

In this vein (the pointy tool or feature that I found) there is also Ron's brushes in the DAZ Store - more than you can, er... shake a stick at. Sorry buddy!

I used a variety of filters and tools to brighten the legacy, "film noir" black and white sky in this satirical take on Gary Cooper in High Noon. Just a quick WIP/study... I haven't spent very much time cutting away the lower half of the dog or adding some coarse BUMP values to the sand in the dog's giant shadow. And he does have one!

pointy-thing-in-corel.jpg
    1200 x 282 - 64K
    Post edited by Roman_K2 on
  • Rebelle 6, though it's a painting application rather than a filter or set of filters.