Tutorial for creating figure textures from images in Blender?

his.royal.ducknesshis.royal.duckness Posts: 32
edited April 2023 in New Users

Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial for creating textures for a figure from scratch in Blender? Google is failing me, I keep getting results for things like Keen Tools and other "automatic" generation tools that probably won't work for me. I'm trying to build a new figure based on images, but I don't have good enough source material to use tools like FaceGen and apparently adapting a face built with Keen Tools Facebuilder to a Genesis model is more trouble than it's worth. So currently I'm trying to sculpt a Genesis 9 model by hand using images as planes (if anyone has a better notion or tool of how to do this, I'm all ears), and the next task is to figure out how to texture it. Hoping someone can point me to either a good example using Blender or maybe another inexpensive tool. Thanks!

Post edited by his.royal.duckness on

Comments

• There's a free trial [indefinite time] of 3DCoatTextura which can paint on models. {if you have 3DCoat, you don't need to buy Textura - it was stripped from 3DCoat}

All kinds of tutorials exist for Blender: search results in YouTube.

Years ago there was a community member who fashioned many recognizable faces using only dFormers in Daz Studio. Pictures on planes is perfectly acceptable for references. You might like to try PureRef, stays on top and works independently of other programs. {in custom price put "0" to try it for free}

• Catherine3678ab said:

There's a free trial [indefinite time] of 3DCoatTextura which can paint on models. {if you have 3DCoat, you don't need to buy Textura - it was stripped from 3DCoat}

All kinds of tutorials exist for Blender: search results in YouTube.

Years ago there was a community member who fashioned many recognizable faces using only dFormers in Daz Studio. Pictures on planes is perfectly acceptable for references. You might like to try PureRef, stays on top and works independently of other programs. {in custom price put "0" to try it for free}

Thanks, I'm looking into 3DCoat now. Adding pictures to planes is actually really easy and helpful too!

For anyone else hunting for a good Daz-specific Blender texturing vid, I did manage to find   good crash course, although Jay mentions that he was thinking of doing something more specialized, but if he did, I couldn't find it.