I import a boxershorts mesh and after using the "Transfer Utility" it is misplaced

DissendiorDissendior Posts: 117

Hi,

I have some basic knowledge about 3d so bear with me if I miss something obvious. I just made a first test to learn how to create some custom clothing in Marvelous Designer and then to use in DAZ.

I exported a "fresh" Michael 8 figure (without any morphs, positioning etc.) as an object, used this figure in Marvelous Designer to create a basic garment for that and exported this garment itself as an OBJ. When I first import this garment into DAZ3D everything looks good (see attached file "garment just imported". When I then use the "Transfer Utility" to parent the garment to the figure with the attached settings the boxershots is paced very strangely (see attached "garment after transfer"). I am not sure but it seems to me that the garment gets wider and is moving a little bit up. Can somebody help me?

garment after transfer.PNG
789 x 790 - 402K
settings.PNG
470 x 672 - 28K
garment just imported.PNG
793 x 790 - 391K

Comments

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,225
    edited May 2023

Please note this stays within forum rules, image wise, but just in case, for future images you might post, please read:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279/acceptable-ways-of-handling-nudity#latest

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,473

That doesn't look like a default Genesis 8 Male - does it chnage if you use Edit>Figure>Zero>Zero Figuer Shape? If it does check that none of your Genesis 8 Male characters have updates available, if not then load the Genessi 8 Male Dev Load and go to Ed\it>Figure>Zero>Zero Shape, then Edit>Figure>Memorise>Memorise Figure Shape, and finally File>Save As>Support Assets>Save Modified Assets. If you take a screenshot of the dialogue that opens at that last step that will identify the problem product.

• DissendiorDissendior Posts: 117

Richard Haseltine said:

That doesn't look like a default Genesis 8 Male - does it chnage if you use Edit>Figure>Zero>Zero Figuer Shape? If it does check that none of your Genesis 8 Male characters have updates available, if not then load the Genessi 8 Male Dev Load and go to Ed\it>Figure>Zero>Zero Shape, then Edit>Figure>Memorise>Memorise Figure Shape, and finally File>Save As>Support Assets>Save Modified Assets. If you take a screenshot of the dialogue that opens at that last step that will identify the problem product.

It's this character: https://www.daz3d.com/michael-8 - actually when I do the "Edit>Figure>Zero>Zero Figuer Shape" the shape changes. Can you explain to me what is happening here? Do I get it right that this Michael8 figure is a morph of the Basic Genesis Male 8 figure or something like this?! 

Ok so know when I use this base figure for export, fitting the boxershorts in Marvelous Designer and exporting from MD / importing the garment to Daz3d the boxershort is correctly placed onto the figure even after using the Transfer Utility tool, thank you. I even managed to re-apply the Michael figure and the boxershorts gets fitted to him. Thank you for clarifying - I need to get familiar with all this Genesis and morph universe smiley Would you mind answering me my questions to get a better understanding of all this?

• What is the problem with exporting the Michael8 character (is character something else than a figure in the DAZ3d universe?), creating clothes on this avatar and importing / fitting it into daz3d? It seems to me that the exported figure has the measurements of Michael 8 and so has the boxershorts I created on him but DAZ3d seems to forget about that when I use the Transfer Utility tool. It seems to me that this tools "thinks" that the boxershort was created for the base mal at the first place and that applies the changes / morphes, is it that way?
    • Can you give me a hint: how are these changes from base male to Michael8 achieved? I mean I see these sliders under "Shaping" and "Paramters" tabs but it seems to me that I wouldn't get from a Genesis base male figure to Michael8 by just adjusting these sliders? Could it be that I just have not the overview over all possible sliders yet? So maybe you can give me a hint which sliders do this - or is Michael8 maybe a mesh that was adjusted in Zbrush or any other sculpting tool based on the Genesis base male?
    • One last question: where are the textures of these characters defined? I looked for it under "Parameters" when activated parts of the figure in "Scene" and under "Surfaces" following the path "Michael 8 > Skin" - but here just a few sliders really have an effect 

Thank you very much in advance for your affords.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,750

It is best to build clothing on base Genesis 8 male,  and use the transfer utility with the same Genesis Base.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,396

tobitaurus said:

• What is the problem with exporting the Michael8 character (is character something else than a figure in the DAZ3d universe?), creating clothes on this avatar and importing / fitting it into daz3d? It seems to me that the exported figure has the measurements of Michael 8 and so has the boxershorts I created on him but DAZ3d seems to forget about that when I use the Transfer Utility tool. It seems to me that this tools "thinks" that the boxershort was created for the base mal at the first place and that applies the changes / morphes, is it that way?

If you modeled the clothes on a morphed character you need to tell Transfer Utility explicitely, otherwise it will assume it's made for the default shape.

Run the transfer utility using the mrophed version of the figure as the source and make sure you have the "Reverse Source Shape from Target" box checked, and "item shape: current" in the source parameters.

That way DS knows what modified shape it was made for and can "undo" those modifications to make it fit the base figure.​