Adding a hair tie to Strand-Based Hair in Daz3D Studio

Hi everyone,

I'm completely new to this and I wanted to start by creating a completely new character. My goal is to do everything myself, so I'm starting by learning how to create hair. I've been focusing on the Strand-Based Hair method, which is available in the software.

I've managed to create some hair to a certain extent, but now I'm trying to create a ponytail, which requires a hair tie. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to add a hair tie to my Strand-Based Hair. Also, I would like to know how to model a hair tie myself in the software.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,724

I can't help with the hair creation since I have never done it, but wanted to say that Daz Studio is not a modeling app, so you will be very limited on what you can actually create in DS. DS is mainly used for posing, animation and rendering. For actual modeling you will need a modeling app like hexagon, Blender or 3DSMax.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,406
    edited May 2023

This doesnt answer your questions, but from experience, one problem which you may encounter that you may not have thought of is that, with a mid to high ponytail, when the neck bends down/side-to-side, the hairs which are spawned at the lower neck (the ones that travel upwards from the neck towards the ponytail) may dislodge from the tight ponytail.

I'm not sure what the best solution to this problem will be.  I guess you could style the hair to account for this or tweak the rigging of your haircap in the neck area so that it's all rigged to head bone rather than neck bones (assuming you are even using a haircap).  You could also make these hairs on a different haircap than the one which is rigged by the neck bones.

Post edited by lilweep on

lilweep said:

This doesnt answer your questions, but from experience, one problem which you may encounter that you may not have thought of is that, with a mid to high ponytail, when the neck bends down/side-to-side, the hairs which are spawned at the lower neck (the ones that travel upwards from the neck towards the ponytail) may dislodge from the tight ponytail.

I'm not sure what the best solution to this problem will be.  I guess you could style the hair to account for this or tweak the rigging of your haircap in the neck area (assuming you are even using a haircap).  You could also make these hairs on a different haircap than the one which is rigged by the neck bones.

See attached for example. This is a SBH i had made showing what happens when head is rotated.

SBHIssue.JPG
    1935 x 876 - 192K
  • Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,071
    edited May 2023

Does strand based hair have built-in collision detection?  If so, can it collide with hair accessories or only itself?
    I mean, can you actually bind the strands with a prop like a hair tie?

Post edited by Seven193 on

Seven193 said:

Does strand based hair have built-in collision detection?  If so, can it collide with hair accessories or only itself?

If the hairtie is part of the surface(s) from which the hairs are grown, so in other words part of the haircap, then the hairs will collide with the hairtie surface when the hairs are styled with the comb tool. This may actually complicate the styling if you intend to thread the ponytail through a colliding object.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,274
    edited May 2023

hufjwuba25 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm completely new to this and I wanted to start by creating a completely new character. My goal is to do everything myself, so I'm starting by learning how to create hair. I've been focusing on the Strand-Based Hair method, which is available in the software.

I've managed to create some hair to a certain extent, but now I'm trying to create a ponytail, which requires a hair tie. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to add a hair tie to my Strand-Based Hair. Also, I would like to know how to model a hair tie myself in the software.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Not sure what kind of hair tie you wanna make, but you almost have no way to make it in Ds. So suggest you learn and use modeling software to make the stuff that you want, blender, Zbrush, Maya, C4D, etc. and Blender may be a pretty good choice by now. 
    As for the hair, especially a ponytail hair, it's not a good choice to use SBH Editor in Ds as its functionality is pertty limited. You could use it to make some simple short hair. But for a typical ponytail hair, you have no way to rig the tail or making dForce work on it by using SBH.
    You see that nearly no PA has ever made strand-based ponytail hair even if they have the 'Pro version' of SBH toolset... So better use blender or XGen, ornatrix to make complex hairs.

Post edited by crosswind on
    edited May 2023

Seven193 said:

User-oriented SBH ( made by standard sbh editor in DS) has no built-in collision / detection on strands unless you add smoothing modifier to it, then it can collide with a 'Collsion Item'. As for a hair tie, also not possible to 'make a tie' on the 'strands surface' of SBH, so better make a Smart Prop and parent it to the hair...

edited May 2023

lilweep said:

lilweep said:

I'm not sure what the best solution to this problem will be.  I guess you could style the hair to account for this or tweak the rigging of your haircap in the neck area (assuming you are even using a haircap).  You could also make these hairs on a different haircap than the one which is rigged by the neck bones.

See attached for example. This is a SBH i had made showing what happens when head is rotated.

That's it I also noticed... It's not a JCM... so one way to fix it is: Turn on Preview PR Hairs, then use Geometry Editor + Mesh Grabber to 'push it in' ... I tried dFormer but failed. Then I used blender to fix it and imported the morph back, the morph dial didn't work...