How to make a character undress

Let's say I'm doing a piece involving a character taking off clothing (see attached for an example).

I know how to make it so a character is wearing jeans.

I know how to make it so a character is not wearing jeans.

But I don't know how to make it so the jeans are somewhere in-between.

My *guess* is that it involves Blender somehow.

But there have already been a couple of instances over the past couple of months where I've thought I've known how I'd need to do something, only to post the question here and have someone answer with a substantially easier solution.

So if I wanted to make a Daz render involving a character undressing, what would be the most practical way to do it?

gettyimages-87401090-612x612.jpg
408 x 612 - 33K

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

Certain clothing items have undress morphs, like Aeon Soul's Everyday series.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,274
    edited May 2023

Usually you may try:
    1. to use some products with undressed morphs like above mentioned;
    2. to make undressed morphs by yourself with modeling / sculpting software, blender, ZBrush, etc. and import back to the garment;
    3. or another trick is: you seek the garment (A) (having some undressed morphs) that is similar to the one (B) you use, and use Transfer Utility to transfer the undressed morph targets from (A) to (B) and finetune it with blender / ZB. In most case, it might be faster... even without tweaking sometimes denpending on the garments...

Post edited by crosswind on
  • gfdamron1gfdamron1 Posts: 198

Could you explain the Transfer Utility a bit, please? Is it an additonal product or is it already in DAZ?

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 749

Why not use make-belief?

Load the clothing asset as-is without having any figure selected, then position that in a suitable place and from there on either use morphs (if they exist) or maybe utilize "Dform"ation to move it into an appropriate shape.

That's what I'd do.. heck, I'm going here: actually have done for some, errr.. naughty renders? ;)

edited May 2023

gfdamron1 said:

Could you explain the Transfer Utility a bit, please? Is it an additonal product or is it already in DAZ?

Yes, a tool in DS... I roughly made an example as below.  And yea, using dFormer is also an option but it'll take some time for making complex undressed shapes, as you have to tweak the influence weight area and move the dFormer from time to time, or add multiple dformers. So it's all up to you to go for a proper way you can well handle...

SNAG-2023-5-20-0029.png
    2061 x 1396 - 821K
    SNAG-2023-5-20-0030.png
    749 x 822 - 68K
    SNAG-2023-5-20-0031.png
    513 x 770 - 62K
    SNAG-2023-5-20-0032.png
    2056 x 1396 - 1M
    SNAG-2023-5-20-0033.png
    2560 x 1400 - 1M
    SNAG-2023-5-20-0034.png
    2060 x 1396 - 1M
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • For clothes that come with Dforce sliders, how do you morph them to look realistic?  For instance, there are some leggings/yoga pants you can get and the promo shots make it look like the model is tugging the waistband out or up or down, but when I try and do that it looks like play-dough or something.

hansen19084004 said:

For clothes that come with Dforce sliders, how do you morph them to look realistic?  For instance, there are some leggings/yoga pants you can get and the promo shots make it look like the model is tugging the waistband out or up or down, but when I try and do that it looks like play-dough or something.

Haven't seen 'dForce sliders' so far... what is it? Better show an example. I myself usually use Mesh Grabber and dForce Magnet to make these 'unique effects' ...

• Gordig said:

Certain clothing items have undress morphs, like Aeon Soul's Everyday series.

One such example of what I meant when I said "substantially easier solution". :D

Plus the term "undress morphs" is helpful - I searched a few things on Google but didn't know what term would help the engine know what I was asking.

Thanks Gordig.

• crosswind said:

Usually you may try:
    1. to use some products with undressed morphs like above mentioned;
    2. to make undressed morphs by yourself with modeling / sculpting software, blender, ZBrush, etc. and import back to the garment;
    3. or another trick is: you seek the garment (A) (having some undressed morphs) that is similar to the one (B) you use, and use Transfer Utility to transfer the undressed morph targets from (A) to (B) and finetune it with blender / ZB. In most case, it might be faster... even without tweaking sometimes denpending on the garments...

Okay, I'm glad I was at least partially correct with the Blender line of thought. :)

The transfer utility is a tool with which I am unfamiliar and this is the first time I'm learning of it, so I shall look into it. Thank you Crosswind.

• ShelLuser said:

Why not use make-belief?

Load the clothing asset as-is without having any figure selected, then position that in a suitable place and from there on either use morphs (if they exist) or maybe utilize "Dform"ation to move it into an appropriate shape.

That's what I'd do.. heck, I'm going here: actually have done for some, errr.. naughty renders? ;)

I have an idea of what you mean. Thanks ShelLuser.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

The limitation of undress morphs is that you're stuck with the morphs included in the outfit. For example, Everyday doesn't have quite the same pose/morph as the example you provided in the OP. You just have to decide if the morphs suit your needs. Obviously, you're also stuck with the particular clothing item that has those morphs. On the other hand, if you create the morphs yourself, whether through something like Mesh Grabber or using a cloth simulation, you have a lot more flexibility, but it's definitely a much more complex process. It's all a matter of what you're trying to accomplish, and how much work you're willing to put into it. 

There are also things like Fit Control that work on whatever piece of clothing you might want to use, but because of that flexibility, can't be tailored to the specific item of clothing.