Can I separate part of an object and move it independently?

nutkrakernutkraker Posts: 17
edited May 2023 in New Users

I wanted to remove the frame from this pair of glasses and I was able to do so with the help of the geometery editing tool.

But now the lens is just floating and I need to move it over to the right to attach it to the nose frame. Is there a way to seperate the lens from the rest of the glasses, so that I can move it independently?

vvan1_03.JPG
860 x 875 - 50K
Post edited by nutkraker on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

DS isn't built for modeling, which is what you'd need for something like this. You MIGHT be able to do it with MeshGrabber, but you're better off sending it to Hexagon, Blender or whatever else you might have available.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,274
    edited May 2023

Opt 1 in DS: If you have already deleted the frame and own Mesh Grabber, just select the lens on the right with Geometry Editor, press Alt Shift + E, then move it. (as attached screenshots)

Opt 2 in DS: If you don't have Mesh Grabber, pls refer to : https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/634376/is-there-a-way-to-unwelded-edges-vertices-in-daz3d#latest, I made an example of green apple... The method is almost the same.

SNAG-2023-5-20-0038.png
    2560 x 1400 - 413K
    SNAG-2023-5-20-0040.png
    2560 x 1400 - 353K
    SNAG-2023-5-20-0039.png
    2560 x 1400 - 290K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 749

If this is about the ability of moving 2 items together at once then you should look into grouping: select 2 items in the scene tab, create a new group and from there on you'll always move both items together whenever you have the group selected.

• nutkrakernutkraker Posts: 17
    edited May 2023

crosswind said:

Opt 1 in DS: If you have already deleted the frame and own Mesh Grabber, just select the lens on the right with Geometry Editor, press Alt Shift + E, then move it. (as attached screenshots)

Opt 2 in DS: If you don't have Mesh Grabber, pls refer to : https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/634376/is-there-a-way-to-unwelded-edges-vertices-in-daz3d#latest, I made an example of green apple... The method is almost the same.

Thank you for the detailed response, I went ahead and bought mesh grabber, seems like a pretty useful tool to have. But I'm running into a problem.

When I move the lens, instead of moving it, it seems to distorts the other lens. Not exactly sure what I'm doing different from you. I selected the lens with geometery editing then with the mesh grabber tool selected, I try moving the lens to the right using the little xyz square thing that pops up when I move over to mesh grabber. Do you know what I could have done wrong?

Capture.JPG
    1361 x 841 - 134K
    Post edited by nutkraker on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,274
    edited May 2023

nutkraker said:

crosswind said:

Thank you for the detailed response, I went ahead and bought mesh grabber, seems like a pretty useful tool to have. But I'm running into a problem.

When I move the lens, instead of moving it, it seems to distorts the other lens. Not exactly sure what I'm doing different from you. I selected the lens with geometery editing then with the mesh grabber tool selected, I try moving the lens to the right using the little xyz square thing that pops up when I move over to mesh grabber. Do you know what I could have done wrong?

So pls check and confirm if you deleted the geometry of 'frame' or just hid it ~  If you just hid the frame, the whole geometry of glasses is still 'welded' which will cause this issue. Since Mesh Grabber has no functionality of  'mask', you have to delete the geometry of frame other than hiding them.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,750

Hexagon3D is a free modeller available on this site,  and it could manipulate the polygons you need quickly and efficiently.  And its free.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,321

Another option would be to duplicate the glasses.
    Hide the lens of the first pair, hide everything but the lens of the second pair.
    Move the second pair so that the lens is where you want it.
    Parent second pair to the first pair, and you can move them together.
    Or, instead of hiding, delete unwanted parts with Geometry Editor.