Upgrading Genesis possible?

I have been looking through the store deciding what I want and several of the characters were interesting espesilly ones with monster type forms though many are from diffrent Genesis's and I heard that you should pick a Gen and stick to it but does that mean I can't use those models ever? Is it possible to upgrade/downgrade depending on your prefered Gen?

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,781

I think that is advice given to people who are new and/or not likely to spend very much. Buy sticking to a single generation you will know that all your items will work together and you won't have to by converters or working with auto-fit etc.

If you are looking at the monster-type of figures then you should be more relaxed about buying them since you won't have to worry about clothes not fitting and the poses for them will probably be unique anyway.

There is no reason why you cannot have a G9 figure in the same scene as a G3 figure or whatever.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,724

Keep in mind that the original Genesis was pre Iray, so while there is nothing preventing you from using multiple generations in the same scene, older generations tend not to look as good, especially if they are pre Iray.

• RafaelRafael Posts: 133
    edited June 2023

I think there are several topics on your question, so let me make different answers.

1. You can load whatever you want in your scene. There was a RRR challenge just last month in which the idea was to recycle and combine old and new assets. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/627661/closed-rrrr-back-from-the-dead-render-contest/p1

2. Old clothing and hair can fit newer Gen versions. A Gen3 cloth can fit a Gen8 char with some extra clicks when importing. Sometimes not perfect, but you can live with it.

3. Some old Gen stuff materials, for example, some clothes, need some tweaking, and surely the newer Gens are more detailed, but you can use them in different planes, and or learn to tweak them, which is always handy.

4. There are also some products to upgrade some parts that are not compatible right out of the box, like textures on the characters or poses or morphs, so the option is there.

---

The truth is that the best Gen to start in this 2023 is getting some G8 stuff. They are great quality, you have a ton of discounts on a lot of products. There are a lot of models to choose from, they can be made to fit Gen 9. And you can combine them very easily with G9 you get along the road. Of course, as Daz wants to promote G9 things, there are also some great deals, but as with everything else, a bit more expensive as it is the new thing.

Post edited by Rafael on