How to fix crazy strand-based hair

renderedworld7renderedworld7 Posts: 0
edited June 2023 in New Users

I'm very new to Daz, only dabbled a little in it over the years. I'm trying to learn how to use strand based hair and create some simple hairstyles with it. However, every time I try to make some hair and style it how I want, I always get this clump of hair where the part should be just looking like a fireworks display. I've tooled around with this particular hair for a half hour trying to smooth it out and get rid of it, but whatever I do only makes it worse. It doesn't show up in the strand editor either, so I'm pretty much stumped here.

Even if I do end up getting rid of it and smooth it out, it looks like there may also be a bald spot left behind.

Is this simply a matter of not spending enough time on the hair, or is there a technique anyone can suggest to get rid of it? Or am I doing something entirely wrong? Every time I try to get it to look right, it doesn't, and it leaves me feeling like I'm missing something. And every guide I can find on strand based hair is just people making wild & silly hairstyles that don't involve a full head of hair.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Edit: I tried to attach screenshots of the hair but its not working. Here are links to the images:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tazavo7xv9avytv/daz1.PNG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1xn6dletg1im6vy/daz2.PNG?dl=0

Post edited by renderedworld7 on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

The word is "interpolation". SBH creates guide hairs, then uses those to generate render hairs based on the number and location of guides. In the case of a hair part, you have adjacent guides going in opposite directions, so the hairs are created by averaging the direction of those guides, creating the clumps you're seeing. There are a few options:

1. Create the two sides of the hair as different hair objects. This offers the greatest amount of control over each individual side, making it easier to, for example, have the short side of the part tight against the scalp while the longer side is more tousled or otherwise styled.
    2. Add guides. The more guides you have, the more guides will influence the hairs on either side of the part. This won't necessarily solve the problem entirely, but can give you some nice flyaways.
    3. Increase Single Guide Strength. This means alters how the hairs are interpolated, whether from a group of nearby guides or a single guide, or somewhere in between.
  • Gordig said:

The word is "interpolation". SBH creates guide hairs, then uses those to generate render hairs based on the number and location of guides. In the case of a hair part, you have adjacent guides going in opposite directions, so the hairs are created by averaging the direction of those guides, creating the clumps you're seeing. There are a few options:

1. Create the two sides of the hair as different hair objects. This offers the greatest amount of control over each individual side, making it easier to, for example, have the short side of the part tight against the scalp while the longer side is more tousled or otherwise styled.
    2. Add guides. The more guides you have, the more guides will influence the hairs on either side of the part. This won't necessarily solve the problem entirely, but can give you some nice flyaways.
    3. Increase Single Guide Strength. This means alters how the hairs are interpolated, whether from a group of nearby guides or a single guide, or somewhere in between.

Thank you very much, that makes sense!