Vellus Horizon 2.0 Released

Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,122

What started out as just porting over the original Vellus Horizon shader system to Genesis 9, turned into an entirely new product with all new maps that work in a different way, so I thought I'd give it its very own post. Like the original Vellus Horizon, this product uses alpha maps on a geoshell to simulate vellus hair, but this new version goes sooooo much further, down to simulating the individual hairs themselves, allowing new avenues of control, and rendering much faster than the old version. Plus, it will load as a simple wearable with one-click material presets. This is still a work in progress, but I'm very close to wrapping it all up. I could babble on about how it all works forever, but instead of that, here's some pictures from my tests to rub on your eyeballs:

UPDATE 12/06/23: Added new refracting materials today. Still tweaking them, but a huge improvement over the old, non-refracting materials, eliminating that "clumpiness" when displacement areas overlap, and bending light nicely over slanted surfaces like actual vellus hair. And barely anything added to the overall render times. Here they are, slightly exaggerated, so you can see what's happening:

UPDATE 18/06/23:

Finished tweaking the materials (finally), and now it's time to start packing everything up. 

Vellus New Materials Test 01.png
1000 x 769 - 1M
Vellus New Materials Test 02.png
1000 x 769 - 1022K
Post edited by Those Things on

Comments

• ZiconZicon Posts: 274

My eyeballs have never been so happy to have hair rubbed in them.

• wizard1200wizard1200 Posts: 239

This looks amazing! Will it support G8, G8.1 and G9?

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,709

wizard1200 said:

This looks amazing! Will it support G8, G8.1 and G9?

This is the G8/8.1 version: https://www.daz3d.com/iray-vellus-horizon-shader-system-for-genesis-8-and-81-female. The one in this thread is for G9.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,973

Do I see kind of a greenish line where the vellus hair meets the skin in the first example image? Is it just the lighting?

• NightflyNightfly Posts: 37

That's really amazing!

• Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,122

barbult said:

Do I see kind of a greenish line where the vellus hair meets the skin in the first example image? Is it just the lighting?

Yeah, just the lighting and/or hair material settings. I keep changing both for my tests.  

UPDATE: See orginal post.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

Looking great!

• m4daram4dara Posts: 11

Any news on this product :> ?

m4dara said:

Hello! Sorry, I've been dealing with the death of a hard drive, but back up and running now. Everything is complete, it has passed inspection, and now it's all in the hands of the hardworking folks at Daz who decide when things arrive in the store. 

• m4daram4dara Posts: 11

awesome! one of my most-wanted-products ^^

• Finally out! You made my day!

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

AleniaTM07222023.jpg
    2442 x 2215 - 2M

Lovely work, Daventaki! And I think that's the first thing I've seen made with this. 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,414

Those Things said:

m4dara said:

Hello! Sorry, I've been dealing with the death of a hard drive, but back up and running now. Everything is complete, it has passed inspection, and now it's all in the hands of the hardworking folks at Daz who decide when things arrive in the store. 

I got my hopes up when i saw a vellus product on store today, but it was just some ugly Daz Originals product that I could make something better than in 5 min on SBH Editor.

hopefully your product gets released soon 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,414

oh wait your one was released on same day too. almost missed it

https://www.daz3d.com/vellus-horizon-20-for-genesis-9

Oops, I posted this last night, but to the wrong thread.

You might think nobody is using your product, because forum uploads are so broken. I finally got two images uploaded by waiting until night to upload. Both characters are backlit with a rim light product.

barbult said:

Oops, I posted this last night, but to the wrong thread.

You might think nobody is using your product, because forum uploads are so broken. I finally got two images uploaded by waiting until night to upload. Both characters are backlit with a rim light product.

Those are perfect use examples, and lovely renders, Barbult. You really have a great eye for all the little details that make a render realistic. 

• I'm really happy how well this works on G9! Here are two examples:

See the full list of assets in my gallery

markusmatern said:

I'm really happy how well this works on G9! Here are two examples:

Such great work! Thank you for sharing these, markusmatern. 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,870

With some lighting, the VH2 causes darkened lips and eyelids at a distance. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a fix other than turning it off?

xyer0 said:

With some lighting, the VH2 causes darkened lips and eyelids at a distance. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a fix other than turning it off?I

I've never applied it to a character at a distance. I would be surprised if it made a visible improvement at a large distance. Just like in real life, you can't see the vellus hair of a person across the room, can you?

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,870

barbult said:

xyer0 said:

With some lighting, the VH2 causes darkened lips and eyelids at a distance. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a fix other than turning it off?I

I've never applied it to a character at a distance. I would be surprised if it made a visible improvement at a large distance. Just like in real life, you can't see the vellus hair of a person across the room, can you?

yes