Question about .duf format

jordi3djordi3d Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi!
I'm a vendor of 3d products and try to make them compatible for Genesis.
I updated to 4.5 and then go back to 4.0 because I saw the files in the new format .duf are some sort of compressed or binary format that I cannot edit.
Also, most of my tools, like the editor Notepad++, and tools like dsfTools by Dimension3D or GenX work on .dsf tools and not on .duf files

Please tell me:
1- What is the new .duf file format? Is it compressed? Is it binary?

2- Are there any tools (or how can I) to convert between dsf and duf ?

3- Why did you add this? Maybe you can consider getting back to .dsf?

And a request: please bring back the options to use the plain text .dsf format for genesis and the files for it. I cannot work with binary files and make content without being able to open them in my tools and a plain text editor.

Thanks!

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The DUF format is not binary. You may be looking at a compressed version, but it can be saved as plain text as well. You need to use a normal unzip program to read the compressed file in Notepad++.

There is also a new tab called Batch Convert which can be found in Window > Tabs which can uncompress them for you.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,700
    edited December 1969

You can also use a utility like 7Zip to uncompress files, though you will need to restore the .duf extension.

• jordi3djordi3d Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

Thanks!

And how do I save in plain text mode?

And should I use 7zip to unzip again to zip then change extension to duf or what?

Post edited by jordi3d on
    edited December 1969

And a last question: can I make content in dsf format and will it be usable by daz users in the future?

edited December 1969

I read the thread here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5953/
    It has all the answers.

Thanks again!

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Jimmy, does Notepad++ handle lines longer than 32000-odd characters?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I am not sure Dave, though I doubt. I had a look on the web, but I think you would need to ask on their forums.

There was a post a while ago about arbitrary line lenghts, but i know you can set the line length before wrapping takes place, not sure is it is as much as 32,000 though.