Cut a hole in landscape?

DekeDeke Posts: 1,623

Is there a way to cut a whole in the geometry of a landscape plane? I was thinking Gescon might work for this but am not having any luck.

Comments

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 749
    edited July 2023

Depending on the backdrop you should be able to use the geometry editor for this. I just gave it a quick test and... worked like a charm.

(edit)

If we're talking about primitives then this won't easily work, not without actually editing the primitive shape, for which I'd use a tool like Hexagon or ZBrush. But not all backdrops are primitives.

Post edited by ShelLuser on
  • DekeDeke Posts: 1,623

My goal is a landscape that appears like a checkerboard of light and dark squares. My first idea was using Gescon to cut holes in a landscape geometry, but it didn't work and would result in a shell with no texture map. I'll try the geometry editor tool.

So geometry editor did the trick. I can highlight parts of a landscape plain and hide that geometry.

One odd part. If I import the same product again it does not appear complete, but with the same missing (visibility turned off) portions. 

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,274

Becaust the same geometry data are stored in RAM... you may save a Subset of modified Prop first, clear the scene, then load the one from Product...

I found the best way to do this was to select the parts with geometry editor then "assign to surface." This creates a new surface group within the same landscape product. I can then select that new surface and assign a different materials. As I wanted lighter areas, I took the same surface into a photo editing program, lightened it, and then assigned that new surface to this new group. Worked out really well.