Need recommendations for a 'Whoosh!' effect

So, by 'Whoosh!' effect, I'm thinking of some sort of equivalent to action lines in comic book art.  

What I need it for, specifically, is to show in a still image the sudden, explosive expansion in size of an object - such as car, a burger, a tree or anything.  Imagine an outward, funnel shaped ripple as the air is displaced by the rapid growth - that sort of thing.  I've tried Blur Crazy by Marshian, for example, but it's not really the right tool for the job.  

While we're on the topic, some kind of small show of hand movements would be... erm... handy... too!  Like the twisting motion of a hand.

Any ideas?

Comments

• PerttiA said:

There's also;
    https://www.daz3d.com/motion-blur-for-iray

Ooooh, that does look good - thank you for that.  How come I've never come across that one before?  101 uses for that!  smiley 

• Any other suggestions?  The more, the merrier!  :)

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229

There have been lots of funnel, ray gun, splash and rocket exhaust shapes... I think you want to start with some sort of warped or irregular, transparent planar, cone or torus object that is transparent and then you go from there.

The free Hexagon modelling program is good for quickly and radically altering simple geometry with twists, stretches, explosions, mushrooms and fireworks-like shapes... export as .OBJ and then import into DAZ Studio.

Here's one random pick that includes blurry fills: https://www.daz3d.com/idg-iray-fx-props-and-shaders

My favorite post work technique involves applying a semi-transparent swish to an image as a separate layer. Cut away parts of what you just laid down and paste another copy of the swish over the first, cut version and adjust the opacity. Repeat as often as you like, with maybe some warping thrown in here and there on random bits of "layered effect".

Here's what "Sweeping a line" creates, in Hexagon. I just swept upwards, more or less straight up. It is possible to do wild stuff by sweeping crooked or at angles.

N.B. Most paint programs will do “motion blur” effects and you can use "fire" and smoke "brushes" and so on.

fig-1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 169K
    fig-2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 425K
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,909

DAZ is not good at motion blur, speed lines, and similar. I'd do filters after rendering, then composite image.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited July 2023

Hylas said:

DAZ is not good at motion blur, speed lines, and similar. I'd do filters after rendering, then composite image.

I feel obliged to correct you: Iray in DAZ can't do true motion blur. 3Delight does it natively. 

Another one from user DARU

I'd say they are both pretty "whoosh"laugh

Post edited by Sven Dullah on