Cannot "Unpin Selected" in the ActivePose tool

awdzawdz Posts: 10

Cannot "Unpin Selected" in the ActivePose tool

Hello, this seems like it must be a very newbie question (and I'm a newbie), but I'm trying to pose fingers (which has been giving me fits because I want to pose the last 1-2 segments of the finger only, and it always wants to repose the entire arm).  So after some googling I found information on the pinning in the ActivePose tool, which seemed like it definitely fit the bill.

So I selected all the parts of my character and did Unpin All then Toggle Pins, so now everything should be pinned (if I understand correctly).  

Then I went to select the thumb 3 (last joint on the thumb), which then highlights it in the Scene tab, and then, using the little concentric circles pose tool in the upper-left corner of the Viewport, I click on the pin icon and select "Unpin Selected."  It does not appear to do anything, and I can't really move the thumb, so I'm assuming I'm doing *something* wrong here, but googling is not helping.

Any tips or ideas as to what I may be missing or doing wrong?

Thank you!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,468
    edited August 2023

That seems rather complex, but if you want to go that route use the Toggle Pins again with the fingers selected (or just hit the space bar, if you haven't remapped it). Active pose has much more solid pins than the pinning for IK with the general posing tools so you should need to pin everything anyway.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • awdzawdz Posts: 10

Richard Haseltine said:

That seems rather complex, but if you want to go that route use the Toggle Pins again with the fingers selected (or just hit the space bar, if you haven't remapped it). Active pose has much more solid pins than the pinning for IK with the general posing tools so you should need to pin everything anyway.

Excellent!  That's what I was missing.  I needed to unpin the whole thumb. Got the positioning I needed!

Once I did so, there was, surprisingly, still some other finger movement when I tried certain translations, but I'm betting that was due to limiters, and I was trying to get the thumb to bend beyond its limits.

Not entirely sure what you mean by "IK" - I've seen other people use that initialism, but not sure what it means.  While I don't really think the method I described was hard once I knew to undo the whole finger, I'd love to learn other methods.  Based on the few hours I've spent with Daz so for, I'm guessing hand posing is something I'm going to spend a lot of time on.

Thank you!

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,272

This is a pretty interesting video for you to understand IK / FK.. https://youtu.be/c1iv0dbtMJ4

Happy manipulation!

crosswind said:

This is a pretty interesting video for you to understand IK / FK.. https://youtu.be/c1iv0dbtMJ4

Happy manipulation!

Quite helpful, thank you!  I'm also discovering better ways to lock and there's a setting to undo IK and use FK instead, which is what I was actually trying to do:  I wanted to control each finger starting from the hand / knuckle and proceeding through the bones to the tips.  That's how FK works and is much more comfortable and intuitive to me for the hand posing.  For broad posing, IK seems more useful thank FK, at least for this moment in my very limited experince.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,272

awdz said:

crosswind said:

Happy manipulation!

Quite helpful, thank you!  I'm also discovering better ways to lock and there's a setting to undo IK and use FK instead, which is what I was actually trying to do:  I wanted to control each finger starting from the hand / knuckle and proceeding through the bones to the tips.  That's how FK works and is much more comfortable and intuitive to me for the hand posing.  For broad posing, IK seems more useful thank FK, at least for this moment in my very limited experince.

That sounds good for you! As for hands / fingers posing, you may also use Pose Control dials when selecting a Hand... i.e. Grasp, Fist, Chop, Spread and In-out, etc. Such a way of "combo-posing" will help to save some time for you.

Yes, that sounds useful -- thank you!