Textures too huge

Member_257874Member_257874 Posts: 76
edited October 2023 in New Users

Hello. I have the following problem. I want to create a scene with some figures in the background. Placing and posing them is already a pain because of that constant mesh smoother/collision update. The biggest problem is however that after a few figures my memory is full already and Daz becomes awfully slow. I suspect the textures being the problem. Most of them are 4096x4096 pixels, then there is bumbmaps, normal maps, glossy mapps, displacement maps each 4kx4k again. Especially for hair and clothing. And the meshes are all super detailed too, especially if a figure is HD. I always try to select base resolution but thats not always available or the base is pretty HD already.

Now this is totally unneccessary for me. I want to put some Genesis figures as background props and pose them. I get, that 4k textures are great for closeups, portait, model poses but completely clog up the scene if you want to have more than one figure.

And then when I try to render, it takes 20 minutes doing noting until something appears and often Daz just plain crashes.

I get that Daz doesn't have an automatic LOD, right? Now I don't want to open every texture in Photoshop, resize it, save it, put it on figure and then do the same again when I decide a pants should have a different textures or hair another color.

Is there any way to make scenes with moderate crowd (like 5-10 people) in the background without these issues?

Post edited by Member_257874 on

Comments

• You could probably simply remove some of the maps, at that distance theya ren't doing much (e.g. normals, scattering). You could also manually resize the images and apply the new versions through the Surfaces pane, but for convenience I can wholeheartedly recommend https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

How much RAM do you have installed?

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,330

Mattymanx has some resource-saver shaders which replace the textures for the figure with low-res  ones suitable for background - there are some which wokr for Genesis 1-8 and a new set for Genesis 9.

• I have 32GB ram installed but the 1070 has only 8GB and that seems to get full quickly with high res meshes + textures more than 5 figures and Daz crashing on Iray render is pretty ensured (bad when one didn't save the scene before test render).

I don't know if I want to equip all my characters with new maps and I'd also need the maps for hair and clothing and then again when I decide to change the jeans to a skirt or the haircolor. ... but I will try scene optimizer thanks for the hint.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,724

With that GPU, you will be lucky to be able to render 2-3 fully clothed DAZ figures with an HDRI