Hair colour (at a loss)

Hi! I am applying a hair object to a model. I dowbnloaded the hair, it seems to come with Iray and 3delight versions. But it seems to me IRay is default right? So I apply the colour I want (black) and when I render it comes out white. As a side note I notice when I go into the surfaces tab on this hair object it gives me an option to change settings for scalp but nothign else. Can anyone help me out? Im not really down with the lingo as Im kinda new to Daz so I do need my hand held. Any info appreciated. Thanks

Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 17.28.57.png
1820 x 1112 - 2M

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442
    edited October 2023

As for the hair colour, there is a node one level below the "Wilona Hair Base Genesis 8 Female". Click the arrow to expand the hierarchy and you will see "Wilona Hair dForce", which is the actual hair, the base is just a skull cap onto which the real hair is attached. Check to see if the hair colour is changing when you apply a preset. They are all hierarchical, so it does not matter which node is selected when applying the preset, it will apply the new settings to all relevant parts. This hair uses the "Blended Dual Lobe Hair" shader, which is quite different from the DAZ Iray Uber shader (not entirely sure where it comes from...blush)

ETA: the Blended Dual Lobe Hair shader is part of DAZ studio installation, but I do not see a way to apply it (not that you should have to, it will load with the preset). It is probably a vendor-only ability, since dForce hair can only be created by approved vendors.

Post edited by NorthOf45 on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,271
    edited October 2023

As default, Blended Dual Lobe shader is not set as 'user-facing'. We may either save a Shader Preset with Dual Lobe or go to : data\DAZ 3D\dForce Starter Essentials\Blended Dual Lobe Hair Shader\, copy 'Iray Blended Dual Lobe Hair Shader.duf' to a using-facing folder in Shader Presets or somewhere, then it could be directly loaded to a surface, but just without SBH related properties... pity...

Post edited by crosswind on

I'll take "Save a Preset with Blended Dual-Lobe", if I ever feel the urge...cheeky

Ah! Just realized what @crosswind said. The shader is in the DAZ Studio installation, but the implementation is in the dForce Starter Essentials, a free download, part of the DAZ Studio General Release and Public Beta suite. You need to install that to get the shader to actually be used.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,271

NorthOf45 said:

Ah! Just realized what @crosswind said. The shader is in the DAZ Studio installation, but the implementation is in the dForce Starter Essentials, a free download, part of the DAZ Studio General Release and Public Beta suite. You need to install that to get the shader to actually be used.

Yea, haha  yes laugh

• ElliandraElliandra Posts: 519

Morning All!
    To adjust the dForce Wiloma hair's color so it's darker you need to adjust the base hair color and the specular for the Dual Lobe Hair settings in the Surface Tab. I've attached a quick reference image below for you!

Dual Lobe Hair Color Adjustments.jpg
    1680 x 690 - 527K