[ Solved ] Character preset help!

emaneman Posts: 32
edited December 2023 in Daz Studio Discussion

When I save a character preset the eyes and mouth morphs are not saved also strand based hair are not saved at all. I didn't find any tutorial on how to do it, can someone help?

Post edited by eman on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,363

You have to use Post Load script when saving Character Preset... tick that Post Load in the save options dialogue box. Edit the script as needed.

I don't know if there's any tutorial but it's not difficult to customize what you need there, just add more Sub-Settings if you want to save other wearables on the figure.

SNAG-2023-12-5-0028.png
    575 x 332 - 22K
  • emaneman Posts: 32

Thanks, yes the script is loaded but it doesn't save the eye and mouth morphs and the strand based hair are totally ignored. I tried to edit the file preset manually but I failed! Is there a tutorial for this?

edited December 2023

eman said:

Thanks, yes the script is loaded but it doesn't save the eye and mouth morphs and the strand based hair are totally ignored. I tried to edit the file preset manually but I failed! Is there a tutorial for this?

I haven't seen such a tutorial before (youtube.... etc.)... maybe you can search the forum.

As I said before, you need to manually create the settings there. Just have more experiment, it's easy... I just give you an example. You try first.

SNAG-2023-12-5-0029.png
    1327 x 858 - 113K
    Post edited by crosswind on
    edited December 2023

I didn't find any tutorial too, I will try that. Thank you very much!

That picture alone it's worth more than a youtube tutorial! Thanks again!

Post edited by eman on

Haha ~ You're welcome ! Happy Rendering ! yes

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851

With G8 I got so fedup fixing all the badly done characters that I did a quick and dirty "how to" in a thread on the subject.

Basically any Geograft fitted to the figure will "auto populate" the Post Load window, regular conformers don't usually show and have to be manually added, and unless things have changed then Strand Based Hair can't be saved as assets, which means they can't be loaded.

The "boolean    selectaddon" is either "true/false" depending on what type of preset being used (hierarchical or regular).

edited December 2023

Link please? I saved SBH as figure/prop asset, and then as wearable preset, it works...

Post edited by eman on
  • zombiewhackerzombiewhacker Posts: 676

Sorry, just came across this thread. I'm having problems getting the Character Preset to work.

I'm trying to get my G9 character to save with custom eye color, fibermesh eyebrows, anatomical hair etc. But after checking the appropriate box and hitting Accept, I don't get the Post Load editing screen shown in the shots. Instead, a character preset is created with the morphs dialed in correctly but nothing else (no custom eye color, eyebrows, etc.) Instead, the saved character loads with default G9 eye textures, eyebrow "card," and no anatomical hairs.

All my customs have been previously saved in their appropriate runtime directories. So how do I get the character preset wizard to include them?

zombiewhacker said:

Sorry, just came across this thread. I'm having problems getting the Character Preset to work.

I'm trying to get my G9 character to save with custom eye color, fibermesh eyebrows, anatomical hair etc. But after checking the appropriate box and hitting Accept, I don't get the Post Load editing screen shown in the shots. Instead, a character preset is created with the morphs dialed in correctly but nothing else (no custom eye color, eyebrows, etc.) Instead, the saved character loads with default G9 eye textures, eyebrow "card," and no anatomical hairs.

All my customs have been previously saved in their appropriate runtime directories. So how do I get the character preset wizard to include them?

Did you use Post Load script to define what you want in the Character Preset ?

SNAG-2024-6-25-023.png
    1471 x 1294 - 167K
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851

When you save a Character preset you wll get the standard OS file save window, select where to save it then give it a name and click "save".

That should open a small UI window, this is the character preset options window, the problem is this window has always been tiny as it's only ever had the shape and material check boxes in it, so it didn't need to be big.

When G8 was launched the Post Load section was added to the options, the problem was that the window didn't change size, so the Post Load section was hidden under the Accept and Cancel buttons.

Move your mouse pointer over one of the corners and it should change into a resize arrow, left click + hold to grab the corner and drag it out to see the Post Load section.

Bejaymac said:

When you save a Character preset you wll get the standard OS file save window, select where to save it then give it a name and click "save".

That should open a small UI window, this is the character preset options window, the problem is this window has always been tiny as it's only ever had the shape and material check boxes in it, so it didn't need to be big.

When G8 was launched the Post Load section was added to the options, the problem was that the window didn't change size, so the Post Load section was hidden under the Accept and Cancel buttons.

Move your mouse pointer over one of the corners and it should change into a resize arrow, left click + hold to grab the corner and drag it out to see the Post Load section.

Post Load section is always shown in the dialogue... I've never seen it's hidden... even if you rezize the dialogue to minimum size. 

Thanks for following up.

This is the current workflow, or in my case, doesn't-quite-workflow:

1) Character is preloaded on screen, all conformers have been applied.

2) Hit + sign, choose Character Preset.

3) For this example, I choose "MyCharacter" as name to be saved under and hit Save.

4) I get Screenshot A. I click on the double arrows. Screenshot B appears.

5) With no other options available, I choose "Add Item." Screenshot C appears. Where do I go from here?

If I select Add Item, do I choose String? Integer? Boolean?

How do I point the script to the subdirectory where my conformers are located?

Character Preset 01.png
    943 x 1050 - 49K

Oh, try not adding item from scratch but... firstly Expand the Addons root node, then Duplicate Item ~~

SNAG-2024-6-25-027.png
    1161 x 704 - 28K
    SNAG-2024-6-25-026.png
    1161 x 704 - 73K

Okay, some progress here, but not much.

I clicked Expand All and was finally able to see the whole layout for the first time (thanks)... but then what? When I selected the Eyebrows Subsettings and chose Duplicate, I got another mini window expecting me to type something in. When I entered the link to my eyebrows .duf file, they were added to the Post Load Setting but without the proper syntax (Follower/Attachment/Head/Forehead/Eyebrows, String/AssetName, etc.) When I saved the character preset and reloaded my character, naturally the custom eyebrows didn't show up.

What I was able to do instead was select the default eyebrows card itself (D) and right click on Set Item. This brought up the choice shown in E. By selecting From File Location, I was able to navigate to my eyebrow .duf in its Anatomy subdirectory, select that, replace the default card, and save. When I reloaded my preset, my character's custom brows finally appeared.  Success!

BUT... the problem is, this trick only works with Eyebrows. Employing the same workflow to replace the MAT settings for Eyes, Eyelashes, etc., causes the conformers to reload with no MAT settings at all, not even default G9 MAT settings.

And I still haven't deciphered how to add custom eyebrow MAT settings to my preset... let alone figure out how to add anatomical hairs to my character.

Sorry to be such a buzzkill.

Character Preset 02.png
    1374 x 825 - 86K
    edited June 25

Well, the key principle: for instance ~
    - if you want to load your Eyebrows, just replace the DUF file (Wearable Preset) in the eixisting Eyebrows setting line; (ss1)
    - if you add other Content Types, like Hair, Wardrobe, etc. duplicate the exising setting line, configure the DUF files there... (ss 2 - 3)

Then Accept and Save Character Preset. Load the Preset to check ...(ss 4).

For advanced settings, like adding other preset types, (shaping, material presets, etc...), just check the screenshot in my 2nd post in this thread.

SNAG-2024-6-26-041.png
    2560 x 1392 - 383K
    SNAG-2024-6-26-043.png
    2560 x 1392 - 406K
    SNAG-2024-6-26-044.png
    2560 x 1392 - 300K
    SNAG-2024-6-26-046.png
    2560 x 1392 - 451K
    Post edited by crosswind on