2»

Comments

• Paper TigerPaper Tiger Posts: 91
    edited May 10

Generation3dx said:

barbult said:

3DScreencraft said:

Richard Haseltine said:

It has been moved - File>New, or cmd/ctrl n, then go to the recent files tab and double-click the one you want.

Thanks Richard. But why, dahleeeng? Why make an upgrade less intuitive? I fear it's all about their advertising in the new dialogue box. But making us have to click more often to simply open a file... is not user friendly.

It also doesn't make sense to me that to open an existing previously created scene, I should select File/New. I don't want to create a New scene file, I want to Open an existing scene file. So, I never click New to open a recent file now. I just click File/Open and select a recent scene from the list of existing scenes. When sorted by Date Modified, the recent scenes are at the top of the list and easily accessible. I am not limited to a certain number of recent scenes. I don't have to wait for the New dialog to open and populate. I don't have to wait for or look at the very stale Store selections. I don't have to wait for advertisements to load or look at them.

This. I spent an hour of frustration thinking something had gotten corrupted. The word "New" in all application user's minds means "create something new", not "find something existing". Therefore, the recent files thumbnail list (which IS an improvement, for sure) should at least have gone in the "Open" menu somewhere. This fundamental standard of application design overrides any other considerations that Daz or other users may have about why "New" is being used here. The length of this thread should validate this argument.

Same, at this point I'm of a mind to just stop updating Daz. Every time I do, I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to bring back options that i frequently use, due to the daz team deciding to move (or remove) them, for reasons that ultimately don't matter to most of us. Even more confusing and unintuitive, and not user friendly, is that when you go to recents, and select the file, you still have to click "Create", to open a pre-existing file >.<

Post edited by Paper Tiger on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,486

Paper Tiger said:

Generation3dx said:

barbult said:

3DScreencraft said:

Richard Haseltine said:

It has been moved - File>New, or cmd/ctrl n, then go to the recent files tab and double-click the one you want.

Thanks Richard. But why, dahleeeng? Why make an upgrade less intuitive? I fear it's all about their advertising in the new dialogue box. But making us have to click more often to simply open a file... is not user friendly.

It also doesn't make sense to me that to open an existing previously created scene, I should select File/New. I don't want to create a New scene file, I want to Open an existing scene file. So, I never click New to open a recent file now. I just click File/Open and select a recent scene from the list of existing scenes. When sorted by Date Modified, the recent scenes are at the top of the list and easily accessible. I am not limited to a certain number of recent scenes. I don't have to wait for the New dialog to open and populate. I don't have to wait for or look at the very stale Store selections. I don't have to wait for advertisements to load or look at them.

This. I spent an hour of frustration thinking something had gotten corrupted. The word "New" in all application user's minds means "create something new", not "find something existing". Therefore, the recent files thumbnail list (which IS an improvement, for sure) should at least have gone in the "Open" menu somewhere. This fundamental standard of application design overrides any other considerations that Daz or other users may have about why "New" is being used here. The length of this thread should validate this argument.

Same, at this point I'm of a mind to just stop updating Daz. Every time I do, I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to bring back options that i frequently use, due to the daz team deciding to move (or remove) them, for reasons that ultimately don't matter to most of us. Even more confusing and unintuitive, and not user friendly, is that when you go to recents, and select the file, you still have to click "Create", to open a pre-existing file >.<

Double-click will also work, or you could use http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/actions/action_menu_submenu/start to recreate the Recent Scenes sub-menu. You can enter

MainWindow.doNewFile()

into a new Custom Action to get the old behaviour for File>New.

• leo04leo04 Posts: 326

stefan.hums said:

Taoz said:

It looks like people either haven't read some of the latest posts, or misunderstood them.  File > Open Recent has not been removed!   It just looks like, for some unknown reason, it disappears for some when they update to 4.22. 

It has been removed - from the default menu resources. It remains in the File menu if you have updated to 4.22 but have not done Window -> Workspace -> Update and Merge Menus. As soon as you do this Update and Merge Menus, the complete Open Recent submenu in the File menu will disappear. But, well, we do not put our pants on with a crane. devil

To get back the File -> Open Recent permanently (at least until the next update of Daz Studio):

In Daz Studio installation folder -> resources -> menus, edit the two files "Default Advanced.dsx" and "Default Simple.dsx". Make sure that DS is not running!
    Search for the line <Action Class="DzOpenAction"/> (for DS 4.22.0.1 it should be line 857)
    After this line, insert a new line <SubMenu Type="OpenRecent" Label="Open Recent"/>
    Save the file, open Daz Studio and do the Window -> Workspace -> Update and Merge Menus.
    After that, the Open Recent submenu will be back. cheeky

Bear in mind that these default files will be overwritten with every update of Daz Studio, so you will have to edit them again after an update.

I want to thank you for your post and the information that has allowed me to restore the "File>Open Recent" item back to my drop down menu.

Like many others whom have posted in this thread, this item has been intragal to my work flow and the "new" option seemed too much.  I don't mind that they added it but I think it was short sighted to remove the "Open Recent" item from the drop down. 

I fervently hope that this decision will be reversed in the next release and the "Open Recent" item will be permantely restored to the File menu drop down.  However if it is not I have printed out your post so I can restore it myself should they choose not to.

Again, THANK YOU!

• MalandarMalandar Posts: 750

I wondered about this myself, I think i even posted about it before but I forgot what I read. Figures that they broke something that didn't need fixing...