Stupid Norton Internet Security!

celticarchiecelticarchie Posts: 65
edited December 1969 in The Commons

It keeps eating my Daz downloads...I download a new product and it does it's little scan on it and then deletes it as a 'medium threat'. :lol:

Yes, lol, very funny. %-P Anyone got any ideas on how I can stop it? Must be in the settings somewhere, but I can't see it.

It doesn't do it for everything, just a few items here and there. >:(

Hopefully it'll quit after the free trial ends, weird how it didn't do it when I first set up my new comp. :blank:

Any thoughts folks?

Si ;-)

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Easy, turn it off while you download. And if it does EAT it you can go into Norton and use options to Restore the file. I do all the time. I dont even bother turning it off anymore, I just restore the file.

• HalcionHalcion Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

I do the same as Jaderail, works great.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,970
    edited August 2012

...same here.

Seems to only happen on occasion with some of the new Daz .exe installers (which leads me to believe it's a fault in the installer on Daz's end and not an actual Norton issue). Never had it quarantine a .zip.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

It is a Norton issue. If Norton decides that it doesn't recognise the file, because it hasn't been downloaded enough times, then it goes into paranoid mode and quarantines it.

There are a great many people who are reporting this issue with the newest version on Norton.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,700
    edited December 1969

Open the Norton interface

Click Advanced

Under Computer Protection click Quarantine

Find the entry for the deleted installer, highlight it

Click Restore and Options on the right

Click Restore and Exclude

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited August 2012

I turned off Insight and Community Watch as it's utter crap, who cares how popular a file is, i'll downloading what ever i want Symantec :P

Post edited by adzan on
  • TorbyTorby Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

Avast is the same way. Any file it doesn't recognize is a threat. I got rid of it and have AVG free now.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Actually Avast is much easier to deal with, it doesn't flag them up as a threat, but aspossibly suspicious, due to being unknown, and if you wait a few secs it then gives you an option to accept anyway, right there on the panel that flashes up.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,970
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    It is a Norton issue. If Norton decides that it doesn't recognise the file, because it hasn't been downloaded enough times, then it goes into paranoid mode and quarantines it.

There are a great many people who are reporting this issue with the newest version on Norton.

...I've only has this happen once...ever (and following the steps Richard outlined solved he situation). Never had a .zip from Rendo, EI, or RDNA get quarantined, just this one particular Daz content file. I've downloaded other content from Daz since (which all has the same installer .exe) and had no further incidents.