Two GPU's but only one working

Hello

Recently I have upgraded my machine and now I have two GPUs. In Render Settings > Advanced tab, I have selected both GPUs, but when I look in Task Manager at performance I see that one GPU is used 100% while the other is at 0%. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. 

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,905

A) Which two GPUs? If one has substantially more VRAM than the other, that might explain it, because a render will only use GPUs that can fit the scene into their VRAM

B) Task Manager doesn't give a particularly accurate view of GPU usage. Try GPU-Z.

• hapciupalithapciupalit Posts: 121

Gordig said:

A) Which two GPUs? If one has substantially more VRAM than the other, that might explain it, because a render will only use GPUs that can fit the scene into their VRAM

B) Task Manager doesn't give a particularly accurate view of GPU usage. Try GPU-Z.

Thank you. I have tried the GPU-Z thing and there it showed that both GPUs where working. It seems that the problem was with the Task Manager 

• What GPU's are you using for this?  I'm assuming they're Nvidia GPU's so that you can GPU render, as AMD GPU's aren't supported for GPU rendering in DAZ at present [unless something changed since I last checked].  I'm looking to do another dual GPU build with Nvidia GPU's this time, but it's a bit difficult to find updated information about which cards still have mGPU support.  I believe Nvidia once had it on the 3060, then removed it after the 40 Series was released.  I've been asking around but no one would respond.  When I look up the specs, there's no mention of it aside from the standard mGPU is dead schtick that isn't actually true outside of gaming.

• hapciupalithapciupalit Posts: 121

fearthefailure said:

What GPU's are you using for this?  I'm assuming they're Nvidia GPU's so that you can GPU render, as AMD GPU's aren't supported for GPU rendering in DAZ at present [unless something changed since I last checked].  I'm looking to do another dual GPU build with Nvidia GPU's this time, but it's a bit difficult to find updated information about which cards still have mGPU support.  I believe Nvidia once had it on the 3060, then removed it after the 40 Series was released.  I've been asking around but no one would respond.  When I look up the specs, there's no mention of it aside from the standard mGPU is dead schtick that isn't actually true outside of gaming.

Sorry I haven't seen your comment until now. I'm using 2x3090. I might be wrong but the problem with AMD GPUs is on the iray, if you want to do filament renders you should not have a problem, but iray is powered by nvidia, so it make sense to only work with nvidia GPUs. Other than the fact that on task manager I didn't had a problem with the GPUs on any DAZ version I have used. Before this machine I had an older one with 2x1080ti. I'm still using it from time to time, to render animations and it still works well without any problems.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015
    edited May 29

fearthefailure said:

What GPU's are you using for this?  I'm assuming they're Nvidia GPU's so that you can GPU render, as AMD GPU's aren't supported for GPU rendering in DAZ at present [unless something changed since I last checked].  I'm looking to do another dual GPU build with Nvidia GPU's this time, but it's a bit difficult to find updated information about which cards still have mGPU support.  I believe Nvidia once had it on the 3060, then removed it after the 40 Series was released.  I've been asking around but no one would respond.  When I look up the specs, there's no mention of it aside from the standard mGPU is dead schtick that isn't actually true outside of gaming.

What do you mean?

DS will use all the supported nVidia GPU's that are selected under rendering devices if each card has enough VRAM to hold the scene
    (all the cards should use the same driver and the driver version should be at least the minimum required for the DS version used)

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • hapciupalit said:

fearthefailure said:

Sorry I haven't seen your comment until now. I'm using 2x3090. I might be wrong but the problem with AMD GPUs is on the iray, if you want to do filament renders you should not have a problem, but iray is powered by nvidia, so it make sense to only work with nvidia GPUs. Other than the fact that on task manager I didn't had a problem with the GPUs on any DAZ version I have used. Before this machine I had an older one with 2x1080ti. I'm still using it from time to time, to render animations and it still works well without any problems.

My apologies for not seeing your response until now.  Thank you very much for returning and providing this information.  Would you still consider the 1080 Ti dual setup still pretty fast?  I'm just looking for an idea of how much faster GPU rendering is.  If you render one character at stellar quality and no other elements in the scene, how long do you think that would take?

• PerttiA said:

fearthefailure said:

What do you mean?

DS will use all the supported nVidia GPU's that are selected under rendering devices if each card has enough VRAM to hold the scene
    (all the cards should use the same driver and the driver version should be at least the minimum required for the DS version used)

I was asking if Nvidia removed mGPU support from it's 3060 cards, or if they still have it.  I don't think that DAZ can use both GPU's if Nvidia doesn't support mGPU for Windows.  Microsoft introduced mGPU as a solution for users who need to use multiple GPU's simultaneously after Nvidia dropped SLI and AMD dropped traditional Crossfire.  In AMD's case, Crossfire is now AMD mGPU, which is a rebrand of Crossfire on the newer technology.  It doesn't work the way Crossfire used to.  I hope that clears things up.