How to make the render more fast but with the same quality

Hey everyone what's up :)
I have nice pc so I love to render with 4K , I know it makes the render more heavy but without environments it take to render one model like 5min +-. with some environments it can takes 15 to 1 hour +- , But with some environments it can take 2-4 hours! and its insane haha. Maybe because the light the have and more things. Sometimes its also change the environments and render settings with what I put.
But my question is have some option in the Render settings to make it in the same quality I want but more faster? Like maybe that I can change that not make big diffrent and still make my art looks epic just make it a little bit more fast in the render? Or it cant be because its on 4K and heavy lights?
I ask more on some environments that in building and have lights.
Thanks everyone :P

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,210

You could try in render settings to change Max path length to 10-20. A high path legth is needed when deailing with many reflective or glass materials. The default -1 is essentially that Iray continues till the beam is dead.

How much you will gain I don't know.

You could enable denoiser. It will in reality not make your render faster, but it will "look finished" sooner, so you can stop the render.

You could try removing objects that are not in camara view, as they then will be excluded.

If there is many reflective materials it will usually take longer to converge.

• KazeKaze Posts: 51

There is a technique I would use sometimes to get very similar quality, at a significant reduction in resources and high reduction in render times. It is a bit advanced though and requires a bit of set up. The amount of time required for set up could make it so that the benefit cancels the set up time. It is essentially creating an HDRI map out of your scene and setting that as the environment in the render settings.

The question is do you find yourself doing a lot of renders for the same scene and camera placement? If not, then that technique won't be much use for you. Also the colors may be a little off.

• foxyfoxfurriesfoxyfoxfurries Posts: 322

felis said:

You could try in render settings to change Max path length to 10-20. A high path legth is needed when deailing with many reflective or glass materials. The default -1 is essentially that Iray continues till the beam is dead.

How much you will gain I don't know.

You could enable denoiser. It will in reality not make your render faster, but it will "look finished" sooner, so you can stop the render.

You could try removing objects that are not in camara view, as they then will be excluded.

If there is many reflective materials it will usually take longer to converge.

@Kaze Thanks to both of you! I will try them out , And yes I use this 2 buildings a lot and got tierd when it takes 4-6 hours to render haha (I know if I will down the 4k it will make it faster but I love when people see all the details in my art)
    Sorry if its dumb question but you can show me where it is with print screen and I will see how it looks in mine on rendering? I also see someone say that you can make your GPU work less then 99% if you dont see the full image before the full rendering?
    Want to see maybe some details that you say is on high number and make it more time to do so. Thanks! :D 

I'm planning on writing up a guide on how to walk you through the method. All of it is manual and requires a good amount of description to explain it concisely. I'll likely put it in another thread and send a link to the new thread into this thread.

• foxyfoxfurriesfoxyfoxfurries Posts: 322

Kaze said:

I'm planning on writing up a guide on how to walk you through the method. All of it is manual and requires a good amount of description to explain it concisely. I'll likely put it in another thread and send a link to the new thread into this thread.

Oh thank you very much!!! I'm sure I have some setting that make it heavy render and I didnt find it. Thank you btw I will wait for your guid. Pretty sure it will help to a lot of people as well. :) 

• 31415926543141592654 Posts: 975

One simple thing to do is to make sure you have good lighting ... if it is dark, it will take longer.  Also, if you have reflective surfaces (like a mirror) it can drastically increase render times.

I posted a little guide on the technique for you. It's not going to be a 100% replacement for straightforward rendering, but it gets you close.

Tip for fast renders by converting your scene to an HDRI map - Daz 3D Forums