DS ist lagging extremly when posing characters

I have read in other threads that I am not the only one with this phenomenon. All of a sudden, a scene that was working fine before is suddenly very slow when I change things, especially when posing a character. Moving an arm, twisting a leg, no matter what, when I move a dial it is slow and the result in the character in the view port ist 1-2 seconds later. Reloading the scene or restarting DS does not help. Deleting characters and assets and re-creating them helps, but that workaround is unacceptable.

In those other threads there was no solution, yet. Does anyone know what it is? I have the latest version of DS installed without any plugins.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,164

So no HEAT plug-in?

• thilionthilion Posts: 55

Not that I am aware of. Let's say I haven't installed it knowingly. How can I check if it is installed?

• thilionthilion Posts: 55

Also, I have taken the time and experimented. I found out that the followers are the cause. So things like clothes or hair are somehow responsible. When I fit the follower to "none", the figure can be moved normally. When I re-fit the follower, the figure is slow and lagging again. When I fit the item to a brandnew figure, that also becomes lagging. Sometimes it is only a piece of hair, sometimes a certain clothes-item. When I delete - for example - the hair and re-fit it fresh from the repository (content library), everything is back to normal. It seems to concern random follower items.

So, at least I have found passable a work-around, rather than re-creating the entire character.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,549

Some assets are heavy for the viewport, especially hair may have tons of geometry. You can check the subdivision and smoothing which can be disabled in the viewport. You can also hide those assets you don't need for animation/posing, until you render.

• Olo_OrdinaireOlo_Ordinaire Posts: 696

I would recommend turning off smoothing on all clothing that has smoothing enabled.  Once you've established the character in the pose you like, re-enable smoothing.

Note that sometimes complex hair has smoothing, too, and that can cause things to slow down.  In those cases, I turn off hair visilbility in the Scene pane, pose the character, then make the hair visible.

• RenatoDiasRenatoDias Posts: 31

Been having this bug, seems to be related with smoothing, but that's not the only issue.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,164

RenatoDias said:

Been having this bug, seems to be related with smoothing, but that's not the only issue.

If its smoothing it isn't a bug, justa  limit to how much can be done in a given amount of time. I do have a script that can be used to toggle smoothing on and off https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwgw8ckbk46ysif/ToggleSmoothing.zip?dl=0

• cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 442

I have a similar issue from time to time.

In my case the loaded figure (G9, G8 etc.) got a viewport subdevision value of 5 out of nowhere - I myself set it to 1 or 2, but DS decided to change it to 5 without me knowing this. With this value of 5 the sluggish posing etc. started. Once I noticed this, I changed the value back and got smooth posing back. Then I saved the scene, opened it again and the value was back to 5 for no reason. I did not find a way to solve this strange behaviour on the existing figure.

It happens occasionally (seldom) and only deleting the figure and loading a new one seems to solve it within an existing scene. The same figure in a new scene does not have the issue though.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,866

cgidesign said:

It happens occasionally (seldom) and only deleting the figure and loading a new one seems to solve it within an existing scene. The same figure in a new scene does not have the issue though.

If you load the developer version of that figure to an empty scene, where is the SubD set at?